We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel route

Webb City, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
Best travel route

Hi, I'm traveling from Missouri down that way in mid September. My question is, what is the best route? I've heard the roads around Austin can get very backed up and busy. Any suggestions to follow?? Or should I just stick to my Garmin.

Thanks!!!!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel route

Brandon--

Do you have a particular destination in mind, or are you just traveling around the state?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel route

Sorry--meant to ask if you had a particular route in mind coming down from Missouri. Most people would probably come down I-35 through Dallas or I-35W through Fort Worth. Traffic between Austin-San Antonio can be fairly heavy at times, but it's only 80 miles or a little less, so it's probably best way, but I'd try to avoid rush hour.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel route

You can take the toll road around Austin and avoid some of the traffic.

4. Re: Best travel route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 10:21
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel route

My experience is that, outside weekday peak am and pm traffic, there is usually a slow section of I35 for roughly a half mile or so either side of the bridges over the Austin lake. Peak weekday traffic times can see long delays getting through Austin. Sat and Sun is generally about the same as off peak weekdays but on UT game weekends it can get very slow leading into and all through Austin.

The 130 toll road from I35 north of Austin to I10 east of San Antonio currently costs <$9.00 billed by mail.

Varied
Level Contributor
87 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best travel route

If you take I-35E through Dallas and eventually Austin and have no desire to make any stops in Austin, then I definitely recommend the toll road that passes to the east of Austin and rejoins I-35 to the south. To me, it's worth the extra bucks. You're right that if you hit Austin at the wrong time of day or night (and many times qualify), you'll have to contend with some traffic.

If you want a more scenic, "real Texas" view of the state as you make your way to San Antonio, then I would recommend I-35W through Fort Worth to pick up 67 just north of Alvarado, which will eventually morph into 281. Very scenic in many places. At times, you'll feel like you're in a Western. Mostly small towns along the way. Cliffs and scrub and deer and rivers. It'll take about 45-50 minutes longer to go this way, but I prefer it.

On the other route, I-35E through Dallas and Austin, there's a lot of traffic, to include lots of big rigs, and there's often a lot of road construction, too. And it's not very scenic, imo.

You'll find a more scenic, less crowded, more interesting drive along 281 if you don't mind the extra 45 minutes.

For the 281 drive: The speed limits get up to 75mph along the way, but then invariably slow in predictable steps as you go through each town. You'll want to watch for the speed reductions and mind them, too. I always do, and yet I somehow missed one of the signs in Marble Falls one time (was there maybe a truck in the other lane between me and the sign?) and got a surprise. $200 ticket in the mail 3 weeks later for something like 53 in a 40 zone! Complete with a photo of me in my car committing the crime! Haha. The police are often lying in wait for speeding visitors.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 30 August 2014, 13:51
7. Re: Best travel route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:17