We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Last weekend

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report – Last weekend

We spend lots of time doing fun things in and around SA most weekends. I’ve thought of writing it up like a Trip Report, but never get around to it. So here goes for last weekend.

Friday Night – Quiet dinner at Boardwalk Bistro. I had a stuffed flounder topped with a couple of grilled shrimp and a lemon/butter/caper sauce and my wife had grilled shrimp on fettuccini. We shared a bowl of lobster and asparagus bisque and each had a Caesar salad. All were excellent. Service was great and there was a quite adequate Flamenco guitarist. We were tired so we finished the night with a quick trip to Gucci-B for some premium ice cream to go.

Saturday – Went and bought a chain saw, cut down lots of bushes and tree limbs, finished tearing down a garage and hauled it all to the curb; it that time of the year for us. – Oh! Wait! That’s not a trip report, that’s local chores so that we can go have fun.

Saturday Night – Went to the Botanical Gardens “Gardens By Moonlight” fundraiser. Music was the draw for us, but it turned out to be a GREAT event on other levels. Several stages spread throughout the gardens: Blues by Seth Walker (one of our favorites.) Rock & Roll/Classic R&B covers from - Wilber Beasley and Body & Soul; Jazz from The Ron Wilkins 4tet; Acoustic guitar virtuoso - Monte Montgomery; and a special treat – Cajun Band BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet. If you’ve never seen this Grammy winning band, you’re messing up.

Everything else was well planned and executed, except the food vending. The free bus shuttle was efficient. The Gardens were beautiful with extra lighting to make things safe and beautiful. Drink booths were plentiful with beer, wine and soft drinks. Even the weather cooperated with a nice breeze. As to the food, I just think they didn’t expect the crowd to be as large as it was. Long lines and early sell outs meant we had to wait until we left and hit IHOP around eleven for our dinner.

Sunday – We hit the road around seven and headed east to Warrenton and Round Top to catch the early Antique sales. Even though it was the early weekend (the big weekend starts today) there were HUNDREDS of dealers. Found a few Christmas presents and a few pinback buttons (advertising, political, causes, etc.) Had some great Bar-B-Que for lunch. Made it back to SA by about seven.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

YEA! A local "trip report"- sometimes that is the best kind. Thanks for posting.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

glad you posted on the Boardwalk Bistro - i had lunch there for the first time about a month ago, and the rueben sandwich was fantastic....i'll have to go there for dinner sometime. sounds like you had a full weekend - except for tearing down a garage! good report.....us locals should post things like this more........speaking of different places to eat, i think Pei Wei is my new favorite Asian food restaurant. I've eaten there twice before, but this third time was the charm. I had the coconut curry beef, which was so savory. I highly recommend this sister restaurant to P.F. Changs - excellent food at much lower prices. Saturday night was our anniversary, so we went to Al Dino at the Vineyard (1604 & Blanco)....normally, I have the veal ravioli, which is one of their specialties, but this time I got the lamp chops, which were melt in your mouth good! mmmm...

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

Wow, you had a full weekend of activities. I wish I had your type of energy, but unfortunately a lot of my weekends consist of rest and relaxation so that I can recover from the long work week and prepare for the next one. It sounds like the "Gardens by Moonlight" was fun. We had also planned to go there Staurday night, but time got away from us so we decided to skip the event.

It was great to see a "local" trip report and I am glad you had a fun weekend. We tend to forget that there are numerous restaurants and events/venues that us locals visit that do not get any "air time" in the actual forum. Since they don't get reviewed too often, maybe we should start writing restaurant and attraction reviews so that we can start using them as a reliable source of information.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

Great report!

I've tried Boardwalk Bistro and it is a very nice place, great food AND atmosphere.

We usually go to the Boatanical event but were having tile put in the bedrooms, that was our chore. And yes, every year, the lines are too long, esp for food. But its still a great event.

I'd love to go to Round Top for antiques, it's on my list.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

Nice report O'Boy...Ham, Happy anniversary...Is that about 24?(wild guess)..As for me,First Friday was cool...Late night munchies...I sure miss Maggies......I see that a new Mexican place is moving in there...

6. Re: Trip Report – Last weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio