We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

new mexico
11 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

My husband and two children, 12 & 9, will be going to San Antonio in June. We want to stay on the Riverwalk or fairly close to the Riverwalk, so we can just walk. Can anyone help me find a hotel that is clean, nice with a fairly large pool. Would like to spend between $100 to $125/night. My husband said he stayed at the Sheridan several years ago on the Riverwalk. Is it nice? Thanks!

Houston, tx
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

The Hawthorne Suites or the Homewood Suites are good for families. We've stayed at both.

We are staying this weekend at the Wyndham St Anthony. More upscale, but its not on the River, about 2 blocks away. We are doing a special of $130 per night for a DQ with 2 baths and 2 adult breakfast buffets.

I'm not familiar with any of the Riverwalk hotels having large pools. Just basic size.

The Omni is not near the Riverwalk, but they do have a nice indoor and a nice outdoor pool.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

amandamom - don't do it!

Before you go to that hotel, please check the feedback on Travelocity.com - I thought that sounded like a nice hotel but the individual reviews made it sound ghastly! Water leaks, no hot water and what sounds like the rudest staff in hotel history!

Now, having said that I have settled on the Sheraton Gunter w/ rates just over $100 and all the reviews sound good - if there's one thing I hate it's paying good money for a crappy hotel room. When we take one of those 'last minute' trips and just drive in to a hotel the wife won't pay one dollar until she's seen a room in person!

new mexico
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

Amandamom-have you stayed at the Sheraton before? My husband said he stayed there and it was nice.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

We had good luck at the Wyndham St. Anthony. It's a block or tow off the river. It's a older hotel w/ a grand lobby. The sixe of the rooms varies though. Room 537 is a bit cramped, but next door (533) is HUGE and has 2 full baths. We found the rooms for $84 bucks on Hotwire. It was December, so I can't comment on the pool. Be warned that the Hyatt is overpriced and sterile. It seems as if you were in Cleveland or Atlanta. The Hiton is nice, but you might be hard-pressed to find prices in your budget. But We;ve found rooms for $70. On Hotwire, look for the 4 star places by the riverwalk. You'll end up at the Hilton or Marriott.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

See Fodors.com for comments on the hotels. I don't see anyone commenting negatively on the St. Anthony there. Concierge.com might be worth checking out as well. After 50 or so trips, I've never had a bad experience in a San Antone hotel on the river, but I suspect lots of people expect Four Seasons treatment for a hundred bucks.

san antonio
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel on the Riverwalk. Please help!

Try the Havana River Walk Inn (locally owned) if you're willing to try something outside of the box hotels you've all mentioned.

The Sheraton Four Points is a hole. The Guenther is a great hotel. Just because something isn't on the river doesn't make it less desirable. Think less people at night outside your hotel window. Think less noise. Think actually having to explore the streets of a city and not just the main tourist attraction...

St. Anthony is a very nice hotel, so is the Valencia, Watermark and the rest of the brand names - Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and Drury are as you should expect.