We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Autumn Day Trip To FH w/ Young Kids...

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Early Autumn Day Trip To FH w/ Young Kids...

So my wife and I have been trying to get up to Friday Harbor with our family all summer, but because of numerous delays and surprises we have been unable to do so until now.

We are heading up to Anacortes on Wednesday (9/30) for a long weekend, and planning on walking onto the ferry Friday morning (10/2) for a day trip to Friday Harbor, returning on one of the evening ferries.

We have three small children (ages 2-6) and are planning on seeing whatever we can that is accessible via foot.

Being this late in the season, will there be anything open? I know we're outside the typical tourist season, so I am worried that we may go through all the effort (if you have kids, you know what I'm talking about) to get there only to find it a ghost-town with nothing available and thus a wasted trip.

Can anyone shed any light into what activities (if any) would be available within walking distance of the ferry on a Friday in early autumn? What recommendations can you make for shopping and dining around this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We have been wanting to go so badly for so long that I don't have the heart (or humility) to back down and put it off until next summer.

Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Autumn Day Trip To FH w/ Young Kids...

Friday Harbor, the ferry terminus, is a small town with galleries, Whale Museum, restaurants, large marina, etc. We are still in tourist season. Everything there should be open, but you might check the hours of the Whale Museum. Here's an Inside Page to help.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Some parts of the island, as noted on the Inside Page, require a car. For example, the kids would enjoy the alpaca ranch, a beach at American Camp or South Beach (weather dependent, of course), etc.

2. Re: Early Autumn Day Trip To FH w/ Young Kids...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor