We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

providence
3 posts
Save Topic
Safety

Hello--I will be traveling to Friday Harbor and staying there for a few weeks this summer. I will not be staying directly in Friday Harbor, but a little bit outside. Is San Juan Island generally safe place? I am a single female and I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that is too definitive about crime and safety in Friday Harbor and San Juan Island. I am a bit concerned about it being too secluded or isolated. Thanks!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

I don't think you could find a "safer" place in this country. What exactly did you have in mind?

You're perfectly safe, however Mr. Bald Eagle has his eye on that chihuahua in your purse.

Relax, enjoy,

chuck

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Yes, it's very safe--I did a bit of a double take in fact at the topic of your post, given the location selected ;-).

I've traveled solo up there a number of times, staying both in town and outside of town and have never had anything remotely resembling a problem.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Like Pala said, no place safer. I just wonder what made you ask that question? Did you hear something about safety? Chuck...

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Not sure what you expect in/near Friday Harbor. It is a small town, but not tiny. it has enough people so you are not alone. You did not say how far outside FH you will be and if it will be a place with no neighbors. even then i would not worry.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Friday Harbor is a small sleepy island town. I'm sure it's safe. That said it IS also "isolated " and "secluded" both. It's not a place I'd pick to travel alone, unless seclusion is what you are seeking! -suze

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Very safe, hardly a question to be asked of San Juan (or any Island in that archipelago).

Lots of tourists (not like the east coast, however), families, Friday Harbor Labs with students and faculty, etc.

You'll fold into Island Time and relax, have a great time.

Edited: 30 March 2010, 04:42
7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor