We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

We are planning a trip to Olympic National Park, and would like to visit Friday Harbor?SJI for a few days, and then continue on to Vancouver, all with our rental car. I am horribly confused by the ferry situation. Can anyone suggest the most direct route for our trip using car ferries? Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

You're confused? We live here and get confused! LOL

When is your trip? For how many days?

OK, here is one answer. If you are first seeing ONP, then you want to go to Port Townsend, on the Olympic Peninsula, and take the ferry to Whidbey Island, Keystone terminal. (You absolutely want to make reservations for this ferry. Follow the instructions for an appropriate time to park your car at this terminal.)

From Keystone, drive north on Whidbey Island, rte. 20, a really lovely ride, across spectacular Deception Pass (State Park) bridge, to Anacortes ferry terminal. Depending on your ferry departure time, be there at least one hour before departure, but being me, I'd be there at least 1.5 hours before departure. These ferries are not frequent. You cannot get a reservation.

At the Anacortes ticket booth, say "Friday Harbor", and they'll tell you which line to get in. Then, once on the ferry, kick back, walk the deck, enjoy a truly beautiful ride.

A few days, especially on SJI; that's great. My favorite, lots to see and to do. FH is just one small part of it.

If you have the time, you can take the inter-island ferry to Orcas Island and drive up Mt. Constitution for, on a clear day, a great view.

Here is an article written by several of us.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/index.htm

Ditto, for Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

I know you have the ferry schedule, but just to keep this message intact:

Ferry Routes and Schedules, WA State Ferries

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Another option? Take the Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria; play in that lovely small city, then take the Sidney ferry to Friday Harbor. Reservations strongly recommended. Sidney is north of Victoria, not very far.

You'll absolutely need passports and, if any medications, the prescription or the original bottle.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 05:20
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

You said you then wanted to go from SJ Island here to Vancouver BC in your post. To do that part you take the WA state ferry back to Anacortes and then drive on Route 20 to I-5 and then across the border to Vancouver either using the I-5 freeway Peace Arch entrance or the truck route entrance to get into Canada.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

Drifting Clouds, thanks for noting Vancouver, I missed that.

I wonder, then, OP, if you might consider the above route or (again, depending on time) reversing course from ONP to Victoria to Vancouver to SJI, then back to Seattle.

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

Thanks to both for the great advice!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

It might be easier to go from PA to Victoria to Vancouver, then down I-5 to Mt. Vernon to Anacortes to get to Friday Harbor.

After returning to Anacortes, go down Whidbey Island to the Clinton Mukilteo ferry and back to Seattle -- if that's where you're returning.

6. Re: Port Angeles to Friday Harbor to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 06:57
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor