We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

Suburb of San...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

We are booked on a 4:30 whale watch out of Snug Harbor. That seems late but the business said that is the preferred time and better for photography than 1:30. Any thoughts? Just seems late but I guess it is lighter longer up there (I am in CA).

If Maya's is sold out, any recommendations on best provider to go with. I guess I like the idea of smaller boats.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

Jim is the expert, he'd know. And he certainly would not mislead customers about the best chance of seeing and photographing whales. He's correct also about the photography, as you'll generally be west of the whales with the light on them and not glaring from above. Don't recall when you will be on SJI, but it won't be dark until, perhaps, 9:00 PM or later.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

Was just there and apparently missed them in snug harbor by about an hour - was there too early! was on a kayak trip that stated at 11am, went down to lime kiln, had lunch, then headed back up. we were fast and so they added some little islands (H something??) that we went around. eventually went back to the dock around 5pm to learn later that the whales were at snug around 4:30 or so. hope this helps and hope you get to see them from a kayak.. wish i did!!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

Henry Island (not a very romantic name).

I hope that you'll have the chance to go on a charter. It's easier to find, observe and follow the whales than in a kayak.

4. Re: What time of day best for Whale Watch from Snug Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor