We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times

Hi!

Just trying to figure out driving times! How long to go from Santa Fe to Taos? Then from Taos we would like to go to the Aztec Ruins, how long does that take? What's the best route? Then we would go back to Albuquerque from there. Again, how long? It's hard to tell on the map how fast you can go on the roads. Thanks!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times

It takes about 1.25-1.5 hours to drive the river road up to Taos, that's being conservative. Most commuters do it in about an hour, but they see the great views every day and have other things on their mind.

I'm sorry, I haven't drive to the Aztec Ruins. Hopefully someone else can help.

DM

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times

There are 2 routes to Taos. The obvious highway through Velarde, Dixon. And the "high road to Taos" (usually spoken as if it was all one word!) that is really lovely on a good sunny day. You can either turn at Pojoaque and pass through Nambe (better route, I think) or wait till you reach Espanola and then turn east. Either way, you get to Chimayo, then to Truchas, Penasco, over the mountain, coming down through the forests to Rancho de Taos. This shows you some lovely little old communities, and would take at least 2 hours.. perhaps a little more - to get back to the main highway, and you are still a few minutes south of Taos town center.

3. Re: Driving Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 07:22