We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

We will be in Santa Fe for a few days around Christmas and are thinking of participating in the Christmas Eve Canyon Road walk for the first time. I'm looking for advice. Is it worth putting up with the crowds to experience this event? And if so, do you have any practical advise for us? Where to park, are there shuttles, what to carry with us, where to start, etc? I have no idea what to expect. We'll be staying near the Plaza but don't plan to walk from there. Will appreciate your input, thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

Of course it is well worth the visit, even with crowds. Beautiful sights! Have warm clothes including hats and gloves. Last year it wasn't too cold, but years before very cold. We park in the PERA parking lot, across from the entrance to Canyon Road off Paseo de Peralta. Free parking. Not that difficult to walk from the Plaza, where are you staying?

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

We visit Santa Fe often and stay at various places near the Plaza. This time we are trying a new place, Otra Vez en Santa Fe, which is timeshare apartments located above the Collected Works Bookstore on Galisteo. I just recently discovered this and am looking forward to trying it out, love the location!

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
773 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

Sherry, Hi again! I remember from other forums and other trips of yours that you do not like crowds. But do like taking photos. You are much like us in that way. If you have not been to Santa Fe during the Holidays before...you will really enjoy its festiveness and all the lights on the adobe edges and on the Plaza. I don't know how long you will be here, but there is also the wonderful Winter Indian Market held inside the La Fonda Hotel on the 16th and 17th. http://swaia.org

Canyon Road on Christmas Eve is packed, including all the sidewalks chock-full of people making their way there. Some street access for cars begins to be blocked off around 5 or so I think. We enjoyed it once and were glad for the experience and photos we got....but would not do it again because it was just too crowded for our own tastes. And it really got cold after a while in spite of the huge numbers of people and bon-fires which are pretty but also smoky if smoke bothers you. Most of the shops along the road are not open either for obvious reasons but are open earlier in the day.

So in general, we like to enjoy Canyon Road in the days leading up to Christmas Eve. We make several visits there when the shops are open, taking and enjoying small sections at a time... and when we can really enjoy the daylight sights and decorations. We drive Canyon Road from the bottom to top every night before we return to our condo for the night...just to enjoy the Christmas lights and snow on the adobes up there if it has snowed.

The parking lot CasaAzul mentions is a good one to use...it does start to fill up earlier. If you know the Kakawa Chocolate shop, its in that area. The link below gives ideas on what to bring and a comment on what its like that night. Add in lip balm to the list, and semi-fingerless gloves with the flap you can put back so you can manipulate your cameras.

https:/…farolito_walk_on_christmas_eve

If you ended your day with a dinner at Mucho Gusto or the Inn at Loretto, you could easily walk over from those. Its a longer walk but from your apartment you can walk down Galesteo to Alameda and up from there. If dinner is in your plans, make reservations asap.

Last year on Christmas Day we went for a drive in the country and ended up at the Tesuque Pueblo where we ran into some very interesting Native dancing on their pueblo's square. If you have not enjoyed doing that on other trips here, Christmas time is a good time to do that....but you also cannot take photos unless you go to the Pueblo Cultural Center down in Albuquerque. Below is an older link but it is still very informative. It was begun in 2010 but updated in 2016 and has links in it where you can find out dates and times for this year.

santafetravelers.com/santa-fe-blogs/…

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

Thanks so much for the info, both of you. One more question, I understand the walk begins about 5 pm, but how long does it usually last? When can we expect the luminarias and bonfires to be gone and the crowds dissipate? And is it a good idea to walk up Canyon Road and back via Acequia Madre? I’ve heard that Acequia Madre is lovely as well. Or maybe just save that for another evening drive? Getting excited!

Edited: 13 November 2017, 21:14
Denver
7 posts
5. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

Sherry,

what did you end up doing on christmas eve and canyon rd? We are bringing our two young kids there this year and I'm looking for the best place to park, best time to go, etc. Thanks.

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk

It was really cold that night and very very crowded. We just weren’t up for such a long walk in the cold, so we decided to give it a pass. We did drive up Canyon Road the night before to see the lights but not much to see that night. I think we made the right decision. We were staying near the Plaza so were just going to walk from our hotel. Sorry I’m not much help.

Reply to: Christmas Eve Canyon Road Farolito Walk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted