We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October - what to wear?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Weather in October - what to wear?

Hello!

I am trying to figure out what to pack for our 5 day trip.

We will be there from Columbus Day weekend.

I read that it is usually in the 70's during the day a

and cool in the evenings.

I am not sure if I should pack sandals, hiking shoes, etc.

Wool sweaters or cotton?

Shorts and pants?

I have a hat and sunscreen ready.

Any advice on how to prepare? I am trying to avoid overpacking as usual.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October - what to wear?

Hi snow123:

Honestly, it's a crap shoot! You could, or could not need everything you listed...add drink plenty of water while here. You will also feel the effects from alcohol faster at our altitude. Not that you drink or anything, LOL!

The Albuquerque/Santa Fe area is enjoying beautiful weather right now. Santa Fe is always a little cooler, maybe 5-10 degrees. According to the "long range" weather reports, and we all know how accurate they often turn out to be...you should have highs in SF in the upper 60's to low 70's, with lows by dawn of around 40-45F.

So, I'd recommend a light to medium jacket, with sweatshirts or sweaters underneath. We always preach here: "layers, layers, layers!" :-)

A small, collapsible umbrella would also be something worth throwing in the bag. You're coming during balloon fiesta time here in Albuquerque, and tricky, old Mother Nature, usually sends some "wet" our way at least one or two days. Perhaps some female TripAdvisor regular from Santa Fe, can provide you with more specific information on what to bring. We're very casual and laid-back here though. Have a great time!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October - what to wear?

I have started wearing jeans to work (teacher! casual), but still wearing short sleeve t-shirts. I would bring jeans, pants, cotton sweaters, maybe a polar fleece jacket and rain shell, running shoes or other shoes, but I still am wearing my Crocs outside on the weekends.

Today the temp at 12noon was 73 and at 3:30 it was down to 66 and raining. At night it has been getting chilly, though we still leave windows open.

Have fun!

3. Re: Weather in October - what to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe
Recent Conversations