We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sage advice on sage inn?

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sage advice on sage inn?

Heading for NM from Down Under in a couple of weeks for a road trip, travelling with 10 year old son.

Two nights in Santa Fe - did my research months ago, and reserved two nights at the Sage Inn. It seemed to fit the bill. I have just browsed the 'Trip Advisor' reviews, and the recent ones are nothing short of apocalyptic.

Any recent info on the Sage Inn? Or are there any alternatives? Time is on the wing!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
875 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

I think rate is the key factor with this hotel. If you get a super duper low rate compared to the other hotels , then its a deal. (in the winter this hotel has rates as low as $49.00 a night- that is fantastic)

If you are paying a high rate, you may be disappointed.

The hotel has a good location. (Better than staying on Cerrillos road) Walking distance to the downtown plaza and right next door to a Whole Foods.

The rooms are very motel like. Basic. Not very exciting but do-able. It's a place to sleep and shower. Not much else.

August is our high season, so you find deals out there for September!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

I can understand your concerns after doing a little browsing myself through the dozens of reviews. I wouldn't necessarily say they were "apocalyptic," but certainly a mixed bag in 2008.

The Santa Fe Sage Inn has undergone a restoration in recent years, but is at it's heart still a budget- oriented motel. I stayed there a couple times "before" the renovations, and it needed them! I did find it somewhat encouraging however that several people stayed there for multiple days, without leaving. With the prices of Santa Fe accomodations, I think the Sage Inn probably has to be considered, "You get what you pay for."

My only other comment is where their internet ad says it's an "easy walk to the plaza." From Santa Fe city maps I have, it looks to be close to a mile. That is probably fine for you and a 10 year old, but for some staying there based on the advertising,they might find it too much. Especially considering how much walking one does anyway to see the major sights in the Historic District. I could give you a few "alternatives" based on a similar price, but they would be farther out on Cerrillos Road. With only two nights staying there...I would give it a shot. :-) Please provide a review of your own after your visit.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Thanks for the responses. Maybe a case of 'the devil you know'. The alternative appears to be the Santa Fe Motel & Inn, closer to the plaza and about 20 bucks more. But I suspect I'll stay put and let you know.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

imo i would spend the extra 20.00 and stay at the santa fe motel and inn it gets much better reviews and it looks nicer.

my daughter and i will be in new mexico next may and we will probably stay there ourselves. i have been to santa fe many times and have run the gamut of places to stay hotels b and b's even camped one year we have never stayed at the santa fe motel and inn but looks nice from the outside.we have stayed at garretts desert inn it is nice and very close to the plaza area.

good luck and enjoy your trip no matter where you stay santa fe and new mexico are enchanting.

marie

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

I agree with UNC Mom. I would happily pay twenty dollars to be closer to the plaza. (I don't know how much closer you would be -- could not tell from a cursory try.)

I think you will want to go back to your hotel during the day and then return to the plaza area in the afternoon/evening. I think to and from twice a day would be hard on a ten-year-old, not so much physically as just a trying experience for one that age. It's not a scenic walk from the Sage Inn.

I also agree that GArrett's Desert Inn would be a great choice. Suggest you take a look at it. Very nice location. It's not fancy but it is certainly pleasant enough.

In any case, do post a review...and have a great trip!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Wish I could help more, but I have not stayed at any of the mentioned motels.

I will say that Garrett's Desert Inn is in a great location, right in the downtown area a quick walk to the plaza. It is closer to downtown than many parking lots!!

Visit www.santafe.org for more information on places to stay etc.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Thanks for all your comments & suggestions. I'll let you know how we get on. Leave here (Melbourne) on 11/9, 4 days in San Francisco (a mere 15 hr flight from Sydney), SF to Alb, then 9 days road travel in northern NM, then return. Would like more time but there you go!

San Fernando...
Level Contributor
56 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Last August, at the very last minute, we heard about the Santa Fe Indian Market and thought it would be great to be spontaneous. After calling every hotel in Santa Fe, the only place left in the whole city was at the Sage Inn. We were very leery because it did only look like a motel and we thought it was going to be a dump but we were pleasantly surprised. It worked out perfectly for us. The rooms are typically motel-like with no closet, just a small area with the bar to hang up clothes. There are no fancy amenities, just soap and shampoo, but it was clean with a nice Southwestern decor.

A nice breakfast buffet off of the main lobby in a fun Southwestern setting is included. It may look close to the Plaza, but it isn't. It's about a 10 minute car drive.

For just 2 nights, there is nothing wrong with staying at the Sage Inn. Have a great trip -- you'll love it.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Twin Tourists - you were right on all counts. Stayed there for 2 nights the week before last. It is a good motel, and excellent value - if rather further from the plaza than some suggest. Very walkable, though (did it several times!) I will write a longer review of the place to this effect.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sage advice on sage inn?

Good to hear some positive reviews! Thanks.

The Sage Inn is walkable to the Plaza, but it is a long walk.

Also nearby is the new Railyard area and Sanbusco area, with many restaurants, shops and on Saturdays a farmer's market. Nearby also is Whole Foods Grocery Store, great place for quick deli food.