We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Recommendations for our itinerary. We are attending Balloon Festival for 1-1/2 days, then going to Santa Fe for 3. What would you recommend for hiking with a view or at Native American sites, visiting Native American dwellings, local art and dining (casual/local and/or upscale)? Trip is for 2 adults. thanks!

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Without a doubt a trip to Bandelier is in order. Try not to miss the satellite unit named Tsankawi which you would pass on Hwy 4 on your way to the main park. Very special place.

Despite some very heavy rain yesterday and today, the aspens up in the mountains are at their peak and a hike up amongst them is a must.

Dining options are limitless and my opinion is that it isn't always the high end or most written about places that do the best job.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Also a visit to Pecos Nat Monument east of Santa Fe would be interesting, a pueblo and Spanish church.

Drive up toward the ski basin for hiking, mountain views and what is left of aspens.

Local art is all over the place. A place to see is Shidoni Foundry north of Santa Fe in Tesuque.

So many places to dine... here's a few Blue Corn Cafe, The Shed, Cafe Pasquals, Tomasitas, Gabriels... all more on the casual side.

For upscale try Coyote Cafe, Geronimo, Old House...

Visit www.santafe.org for tons of info.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Of course you don't want to miss Albuquerque's historic area, the original, "Old Town." On Mountain Road which runs along the northern edge of Old Town, you'll also find several diverse museums. I'd especially recommend you first visit the Albuquerque Museum for an excellent introduction into the ancient history of Northern New Mexico's Native American, Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo cultures. The New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science is across the street, one of the U.S.'s newest Natural History museums, great fun for those who like Dinosaurs, geology, etc.

If you're seeking some New Mexico food while in the Old Town area, I'd recommend Little Anitas at the corner of Rio Grande Blvd. and Mountain Road. Two other favorites of mine are El Pinto, and Casa de Benevides, both on north 4th Street. If it's warm enough...the patios are great at both. Try lunch.

Driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, take the "back road," NM-14 (a.k.a. "The Turquoise Trail") through varying landscapes, and old mining towns such as Madrid (one coal mining...now Arts & Crafts), and Cerrillos, once a center of Turquoise mining.

Or, you could make a great day trip from Albuquerque up through the Jemez Mountains on NM-4, past Jemez Pueblo, and Jemez State Monument (old Spanish church, and pueblo ruins), and Bandlier National Monument...then back south to Santa Fe.

Hiking...grab a burger or ?, and head east in Albuquerque to Tramway Blvd....just north of Academy Blvd., turn east off Tramway for the two mile drive into the Elena Gallegos Picnic Area. Great views, and numerous hiking trails from there along the foothills of the Sandia Mountains.

Enjoy the fiesta. You don't say when you are coming, but the last weekend looks pretty "iffy" for rain right now. (as of Tuesday). It will be pretty cool by the weekend also 60's/40's in Albuquerque (colder in Santa Fe) so dress in layers.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

Tent Rocks is a wonderful hike-its abut 45-1 hour outside Santa Fe. A drive to Abiqui and Ghost Ranch is beautiful and I would defintiley take the time todo that. If you click on my name you can find my trip report which lists lots of the places where we had good meals on our recent trip.

5. Re: Albequrque to Santa Fe trip - this week!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 11:21