We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Brighton
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

A friend and I are planning a trip to Santa Fe in late September or early October. I've been there before, but she hasn't. We're in the 55-65 age range, fit and healthy, and we'd like to stay in reasonably priced accommodations within safe nighttime walking distance of the central plaza. We'll have a car, but because I want to be able to enjoy a wine or beer while there, we would like to stay close to the central plaza so we can walk there and back. Any ideas? Also, might there be any special deals we should know about? And if there are no reasonably priced places near the central plaza, how feasible would it be to take taxis back and forth to our hotel, motel or B&B? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

I would take a look at Hotel St. Francis, Inn on the Paseo, Villas de Santa Fe and the Santa Fe Plaza Travelodge. I'm basing those solely on distance from the plaza and price, and not personal experience. You should probably check the reviews on each property. I did find that hotels.com ( and this is probably true of other travel sites ) will allow a search for "Sant Fe Plaza, New Mexico" and give distances away from the plaza. You might also check individual hotel sites for specials although a lot of the package deals will show up on hotels.com, at least in my experience.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel St. Francis
Hotel St. Francis
1,167 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Inn on the Paseo
Inn on the Paseo
411 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Villas de Santa Fe
Villas de Santa Fe
538 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
The Santa Fe Suites
The Santa Fe Suites
510 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,426 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Depends upon how you define "reasonable" pricing! But if that includes the $250 range, check the Inn of the Governors (www.innofthegovernors.com). We stayed there for 3 nites last Oct. and it was perfect in all ways: very comfortable/quiet room, inviting common areas, friendly/prompt service, excellent buffet breakfast included, plenty of parking (included), and convenient walking distance to the Plaza--and beyond. We rarely used our car while there. I would return in a heartbeat!

Mentioned in this post
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,426 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,879 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Here's a few that may work: Santa Fe Sage Inn (this may be too far of a walk from the Plaza, but close to the new Railyard area), Garrett's Desert Inn, Old Santa Fe Inn, Hotel Plaza Real, Santa Fe Motel, El Pueblo Bonito B&B.

You may also get some good rates at that time at La Fonda, Santa Fe Hilton, Hotel Santa Fe (a bit further of a walk, but they are also close to Railyard)

Check your dates on www.santafe.org

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe Sage Inn
Santa Fe Sage Inn
1,417 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,426 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Garrett's Desert Inn
Garrett's Desert Inn
424 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Old Santa Fe Inn
Old Santa Fe Inn
1,727 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Bed and Breakfast Inn
Pueblo Bonito Bed and...
703 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Hotel Santa Fe
Hotel Santa Fe
1,761 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Look at Garretts Desert Inn and Santa Fe Motel and Inn the former is very close to the plaza and the latter is close to the new railyard area both walkable imo.

Mentioned in this post
Garrett's Desert Inn
Garrett's Desert Inn
424 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe Motel & Inn
Santa Fe Motel & Inn
811 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

When my family visits Santa Fe they like to stay at La Posada de Santa Fe or the Water Street Inn. Both include breakfast and are reasonable for Santa Fe. The Water Street in has a fun piano bar. Both places are walking distance to the Plaza and are relatively quiet. We got a really cheap winter rate at La Posada when we asked which was about half what is advertised.

Another family favorite is the El Rey Motel. It's not walking distance but has a good atmosphere.

The latest is much cheaper, not walking distance either, but they were happy with the price which was the Best Western Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,426 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Use Priceline.com. Do your research on www.biddingfortravel.com. The first listing is a list of hotels Priceline uses in Santa Fe.

Santa Fe Plaza Area

4 Star

Eldorado Hotel

Inn and Spa at Loretto

La Posada de Santa Fe Resort & Spa

3.5 Star

Hilton Santa Fe

The Hilton has been going for $80.00 a night, and it's the only 3.5* Priceline uses, so if you bid for a 3.5* Plaza Area Hotel, you are bidding on the Hilton. La Posada and Inn and Spa at Loretto have been going for $100.00 a night.

www.biddingfortravel.com has tips on how to bid intelligently. Their forum has winning bids posted so you know the amount to bid. Priceline NEVER changes the *level you get. If the bid is accepted, you'll have the *level you bid on. I wouldn't be unhappy with any of those hotels, and you'll save a lot of money, which can be spent on marvelous meals. :)

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Eldorado Hotel & Spa
Eldorado Hotel & Spa
1,496 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Inn and Spa at Loretto
Inn and Spa at Loretto
1,895 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Have to agree with Casa on Sage and Garrett's. If you want something a little nice there's Inn on the Paseo which is a small B & B.

Mentioned in this post
Inn on the Paseo
Inn on the Paseo
411 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Southernmost...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

pstreet1 has given us readers very valuable/interesting info about bidding for travel.

In my 30 years of visiting Santa Fe, I've only stayed in a hotel ONCE (the requisite La Fonda for our first trip) and all of the other visits were in rentals or timeshares which work well. Maybe as old ago creeps up, it is time for a hotel and you were kind enough to give us the important stuff.

What I would like to know, if you, or others have gone to a Level 2 (TWO Stars) for bidding? I would never want to be on Cerrilos Road, but I doubt if Priceline would go out of the area. I am really curious what might be offered at TWO stars, so if you happen to know, I would be glad to get that info. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

The 2* is usually La Quinta Inn on Cerillos Rd. The 2.5* is usually Holiday Inn on Cerillos Rd.

No sure why you would think they wouldn't use hotels on Cerillos?

Mentioned in this post
La Quinta Inn Santa Fe
La Quinta Inn Santa Fe
741 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Southernmost...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable accommodations within walking distance of plaza

Thanks for the 2 Star hotels.

Since I have never used Priceline, I just presumed that the accommodations would be in the downtown area.

One of the features that I enjoy in Santa Fe is that with some energy, stamina and a good map, one can walk most everywhere to fill a day or several. Bus from downtown to Museum Hill is cheap and convenient.

When walking, make sure that you take your eyes off of the marvelous sights to look at the surface you are walking on. The sidewalks are very old. I took a "spill" to beat them all, tripping on broken brick sidewalk, ripping my very sturdy walking sandals apart and pulling my hamstring which made for one very painful week of continued walking around town. However..........it was one fantastic walk until that point!!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico