We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe for teens

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Fe for teens

We are staying in Albuquerque and taking a day trip to Santa Fe. My husband and I have some ideas about where we want to eat in Santa Fe. We are not quite sure what there is to do with our two young teens (13 and 14 yo girls). My kids do enjoy museums. We did Georgia O' Keefe Museum on our last visit and would like to go to a different place this time--preferably not another art museum. Any suggestions? We are just interested in doing something "local" and interesting.

TIA

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,787 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Fe for teens

I would recommend the NM History Museum or the Indian Art and Culture Museum.

Walk around the Plaza, do some window shopping. Also look at stopping at Jackalope for some fun shopping, complete with prairie dogs!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Fe for teens

I'm not recommending that you skip Santa Fe altogether, but a wonderful day trip from Albuquerque might include any of the following: Tent Rocks; Bandelier National Monument, or the Jemez Springs area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Fe for teens

One idea is Warehouse 21, a teen club in the Railyard District:

www.warehouse21.org

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Fe for teens

You didn't mention the time of year or day of the week, you'd be up here.

I just went to the NM History Museum and while interesting and full of good exhibits, it may be a little dry for a couple of younger teens.

On Saturday afternoons, the Shidoni Foundry, a world renowned sculpture foundry in nearby Tesuque fires up the furnaces and visitors can watch them pour the bronze into all the sculpture molds they've been working on all week.

Next door is a nice little glass blowing studio and they do demonstrations all day.

Depending on the time of year you are coming, the Tesuque Flea Market is very close to Shidoni and the glassworks and the three of those places might nicely fill an afternoon.

I think one of the more interesting museums for folks of all ages is the International Museum of Folk Art up on Museum Hill.

If a full blown trip to the main unit of Bandelier National Monument seems too far, there is a smaller, satellite unit of the park named Tsankawi about 15-20 minutes closer to Santa Fe. This is an astounding place and can be fully explored in a couple of hours at the most.

PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Fe for teens

Thank you so much for the ideas. I did neglect to talk about when we are visiting. We will be in New Mexico in August. I could go to Santa Fe any day of the week--no firm itinerary yet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Fe for teens

My teen daughter likes to visit "the Plaza" and talk with the Native Americans who sell jewelry there. She likes to visit the SF Animal Shelter (it's actually very nice, award-winning) in the open space nearish to the Golf Course.

http://www.sfhumanesociety.org/

She also likes Cerillos (old ghost town 15 min.south of SF), Pecos Monument (Indian Ruins and National Park Service site about 20 min. west) and horsebackriding. If your girls want at "trail ride" (even for beginners) there's many places including ones in Cerrillos, Pecos and Bishop's Lodge just north of SF.

My daughter also likes browsing in cute shops (try Doodlets on Water St. and Maya's on Galisteo) and eating at fun places like Upper Crust Pizza, Il Vicino (pizza and informal Italian), Coyote Cafe Roof Cantina, etc.

The Farmer's Market on Saturday AM's at the Railyard is also fun.

7. Re: Santa Fe for teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:19