We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Garretts Desert INN - when you say

I've never been to Santa Fe yet! (April 3 - 7, 2010) and now I'm thinking I'm gonna book my stay at Garretts Desert INN.

I and my husband don't have a problem with walking....I love to walk....but my parents are in their 70's and Dad has bad knees.

So can you describe to me what is "walking distance" to the Plaza . We have never seen the Plaza but I understand it to be a big Plaza with shops and stuff that you can walk around to shops side by side.

My thought is to get close enough to the Plaza that if someone in the group isn't moving as fast as the others the others can walk off and have something to do while waiting on others to get ready to go do whatever we have planned for the day instead of sitting in the hotel waiting and doing nothing.

What else is in "walking distance" that is of interest from Garretts Desert INN????

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! Trying to get a picture in my head of the area :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Please be aware that,in spite of an evocative website, Garrett's is a glorified motel. It does well due to prices and location (yes, someone can walk slowly and catch up) but perhaps you want more ambience.For a bit more money, you might check out some B&B's downtown (such a Pueblo Bonito, Adobe Star, Adobe Abode, El Paradero, Inn on the Paseo, Casa Paficia, etc.). Inn on the Alameda, Inn of the Governors ( a bit motelsih) are also convenient more horelish places. Another reasonable and convenient placeisGhost Ranch retreat center on PAseo de Peralta. Really a "retreat center" but nice centrally located, good price, etc.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Just wanted to mention that Santa fe is at 7000 feet above sea level. While most people do just fine with the altitude some do experience shortness of breath, head aches and other "altitude sickness" issues. Drinking plenty of water, prior to and while visiting and going easy on the cocktails seems to help alot. You mentioned that your parents are in their 70's, which by no means is old or inactive. However if they do have any medical issues, especially ones related to breathing they should check with their doctor prior to the trip just to be safe.

Here's a link to the Santa Fe Plaza Cam for live shots of the plaza, it looks pretty brown right now but should start greening up soon. http://www.santafeinformation.com/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Garrett's is about 2 blocks from the Plaza. An easy walk on sidewalks. 1 block toward the plaza from Garrett's is the Loretto Chapel with the spiral staircase. One block in the other direction from Garrett's is the Oldest Church.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Yes, you have the right picture in your head - the Plaza is a block square with shops on 3 sides and the Palace on the 4th. There are benches all around so if Dad's knees give out (mine do too) he can go have a seat. Shops, etc. spread out in all 4 directions. Your motel is about 2 full blocks south of the plaza on the Old Santa Fe Trail. It's kind of 80's decor but you can't beat the price and there are shops and restaurants in the same block! It may be a little hectic during the day, but it should be pretty quiet at night - SF is not really a "nightlife" kind of town. Please have your parents check with their Dr. before the trip and start drinking lots of water - we carry bottles of water with us too. Don't forget your walking shoes, hats and sunscreen - the sun is 7000' closer to you. Hope you and your parents have a great time!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

Here's another idea to check into: La Fonda Hotel. It is just southeast of the plaza.

It has a bustling lobby. One could simply sit there for a while and have an enjoyable time.

Just steps to the plaza, a nice little French pastry shop in the lobby, a restaurant and bar also.

If your father's knees are really really bad, it might be a good option,

I haven't stayed there myself, so don't have personal knowledge of the rooms.

I have stayed at Garrett's Desert Inn and it is fine, but it doesn't have the lobby activities and atmosphere that LaFonda does, and it is a block or so farther to the south.

http://www.lafondasantafe.com/

Best wishes for a wonderful trip!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

I just had a friend, visiting from Cincinnati, who stayed at Garret's last week, and she was satisfied with both the motel, and adjacent restaurant.

If you are flying in to Albuquerque, it's always a good idea to spend a day or two here at lower elevation, before taking on Santa Fe and/or Taos. Our historic Old Town, with its plaza, church, and many shops and restaurants, is even more compact than the downtown Santa Fe Historic district. More of a "strolling" place, than "walking" place. :-)

If you are driving in ...the gradual increase in elevation helps one to become acclimated more easily.

Enjoy your visit!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

As I mentioned in my reply to your other post I have stayed at Garretts Desert Inn twice before and both stays were fine and we will stay there again in july.

I have stayed at some of the other places mentioned like Inn of the Governors and El Paradero and they were both nice places but El Paradero only has 2 suites that can accomodate 4 people and they will probably be more than the budget you mentioned in your last post plus it is definitely not as close to the Plaza. The Inn of the Governors was a very nice place and very close to Plaza area but a good amount more than your budget our stay was in april 2003 and I think the rate was about 160.00 a night.

There are lots of great places to stay in Santa Fe but some places cost more than others especially around The Plaza, as we are trying to stick to a budget this trip since my husband and I just spent a week in San Francisco.We need to accomodate 4 adults in july and Garretts Desert Inn's price was right for us plus we are traveling there for Spanish Market and it was still reasonable lots of of places raise their rated during special events.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 20:19
8. Re: Garretts Desert INN - when you say

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:18