We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April weather in Santa Fe???

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
African safaris
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
April weather in Santa Fe???

Planning a first visit to S. Fe April 16 thru April 20. Flying in to Alb, renting car and driving to S.Fe. Hmmm, forgot it is 7,000 ft. In doing my research, it appears the fall is a better time for weather? However, my April time slot works out better for me. Is the weather nice? I read some reports that it can be windy and muddy?? In a 3 1/2 day time, can I visit Bandelier (sp?), O'Keeffe, Canyon Rd, the Audubon Center, Plaza, etc. Gads, it's looking like I'll have to return for Taos. Will be driving back to Alb on 21st for a two nite stay before flying out on 23rd. One day in Alb? Do the tram thing? Txs for any advice.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
34 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April weather in Santa Fe???

Punnkin

3 days will be tight for all that you would like to see and making you want to come back for more. I'd recommend doing Bandelier on your way back to Albuquerque. It's about an hour ride from Santa Fe and even though we do have inclement weather some in April, this year it has all been up in the air unusual. After Bandelier you could drive to Valle Grande thru Jemez Springs and down to 550 which will take you back to Albuquerque. A nice way to spend the day. All others may seem doable, but you'd be rushed to see all of Canyon road (mile full of galleries, shops and restaurants) but a good try to be had

African safaris
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April weather in Santa Fe???

Txs for the prompt reply. Actually that was my exact thought to do Bandelier on the way back to Albu. I know, trying to cram too much. I am traveling alone and have spent most of my day off trying to find budget lodging. I have narrowed it down to Silver Saddle and/or Econo Lodge. If anything, the O'Keeffe is a given. Also, tried checking out parking in S.Fe. Looks like no free (ha!) parking. Can I walk to town from the Silver Saddle? To your knowledge, is the shuttle reliable? Any thoughts?

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April weather in Santa Fe???

It's Spring in New Mexico that time of year, and this year it's been a wet one. One prognostication I've seen is for a wet April. As I wrote in another comment in the New Mexico Forum: Weather this time of year is all about altitude. The higher you are, the more certain you will have snow instead of rain. Santa Fe received a burst of snow last Friday that quickly dumped inches on the ground, then scooted out on Saturday morning, and all (almost all?) of the snow was gone by Sunday when the azure blue skies returned and temps sprang right back into the 50's and 60's.

We always recommend Bandelier no matter what time of year it is. It's always open, so why not see it in whatever conditions are? Just remember, though that doing outdoors-y things will require that you bring your layers starting with something "wicking" against the skin, something medium-light such as a shirt for the middle and something a little heavier, warmer and water-resistant for the outer layer.

Always in New Mexico: if you're outdoors, wear a hat and sunscreen, and take lots of water. Altitude alone is enough to require these things, but if the sun is out, then save yourself the headache (literally) and carry water with you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April weather in Santa Fe???

Both Silver Saddle and Econo Lodge are far from the Plaza and not walkable. There is a city bus (the #2) goes up and down Cerrillos Road every 15 minutes or so. $2 for a day pass.

The Silver Saddle is right next to Jackalope, a fun store with great imports. Across the street is Cafe Castro's.

You can spend 1 day visiting Santa Fe museums (just not on Mondays, they are closed), Canyon Road, Plaza etc. Another day for Bandelier and maybe Chimayo. 3rd day, finish up places in Santa Fe you missed. In Albuquerque visit Old town, possibly the BioPark, Petroglyph Nat Mon, Sandia Tram, Nob Hill/Rte 66.

5. Re: April weather in Santa Fe???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:18