We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

I'm going to be in Santa Fe in July and am intending to visit Toas on Sunday 11th July. On the way (either there or back) I would like to visit the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Where is the best view point where I could pull the car off the road to best appreciate it? Many thanks.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

there's a park right there at the bridge

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

BTW, the bridge is not on either highway from Santa Fe to Taos. It's north of Taos about 10 miles outside of town. If you are driving, get a good road map. Hope you have a great trip!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

I was going to advise the same thing...the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is on US64. About five miles north of Taos Plaza (downtown Taos), US64 splits, with NM522 going on north to Questa...and US64 turning west. From the cutoff, it is about six or seven miles to the bridge on US64. You can park on either side and walk out onto the bridge. The "flexing" of the bridge, each time a semi-truck and trailer runs across, is an "interesting" experience. :-) A great view however. Return to Taos the same way you came out.

I hope between Taos and Santa Fe you'll take in the "HIgh Road" between, including Penasco, Truchas, and Chimayo. Beautiful scenery along the northern slopes of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, plus Spanish-era mountain village life in picturesque, adobe villages and churches. Have a safe trip.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

We recommend that you drive north on the so-called Low Road to Taos, State Highway 68 out of Espanola. As you come up into the valley where Taos sits, you'll pass two spectacular vistas of the Gorge. Pull over at the second one (just past a big "U-curve" in the highway).

Views of the gorge from the bridge tend to be a little two-dimensional, especially if you're taking photos of it. Park at the "roadside park" on the west side of the bridge and find the trailhead for the "West Rim Trail." Take that trail down about a 1/4 mile or so and there's a lovely bench and rest area for you to sit and take pics without all the bustle of traffic on the bridge itself.

Safe Journeys!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

I recall dirt parking lot. You will have no trouble parking. Edit Oops didn't see all the responses

Edited: 19 June 2010, 14:25
Cleveland
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

July 11th is my birthday and I'd eventually like to go to Santa Fe to see the Folk art market http://www.folkartmarket.org/

If you have not made your hotel reservations yet, do so now.Some prices may increase due to the event.

Edited: 19 June 2010, 14:39
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

The roadside park on the west side of the bridge is a nice spot for a picnic, by the way. A short walk down the West Rim Trail right at the paved parking area is a great way to see some different vistas.

Echoing the other comment, definitely try to take the High Road back north to Santa Fe. The route we recommend to guests is New Mexico 518 out of Taos/Ranchos de Taos then turn onto NM 75 following it to NM 76 and then on to Chimayo and NM 503 that takes you onto the main highway back into Santa Fe.

This is a full day excursion if you'll allow yourself the time to slow down, pull over and see the sights. It's quite wonderful, really~!

8. Re: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 05:17