We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another spa question...

Washington
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Another spa question...

I read on a recent post the recommendation for Ten Thousand Waves Spa and thought I would try it when we are in Santa Fe at the end of July. But then I went and read the reviews and it sounds a little too crowded and noisy. What would you recommend for a peaceful and excellent spa experience. My daughter and I want a massage and maybe other spa treatments. Absolute Nirvana? One of the hotel spas? I've been researching spas on this site but I am more confused than when I started! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another spa question...

The comment that 10,000 Waves is crowded and noisy is relative. It can be at certain times, but not always. If you come earlier in the day it is quiet. Also in the evening (after 8 pm). If you get a private hot tub (recommended, can hold up to 6 people, plus there are different "styles") is is guaranteed to be private. Massages are of course private. There is a new "quiet room" which is a lovely small Japanese surrounded by glass in a grove of trees which is great. The plus about 10,000 Waves is that it is a couple of miles out of downtown SF in the foothills and surrounded by pine trees and has a fairly authentic Japanese design.

Nirvana is in the downtown area. It is basically a bed and breakfast with a few rooms and small garden devoted to massage. It is nice enough but no where the atmosphere of 10,000.

You might want to check a few other places, including some hotel spas which are wonderful. My favorite is at Bishops' Lodge, but the ones at ElDorado and La Posado are very nice. La Posado has a swimming pool available, and I believe Bishop's Lodge does too. Both also have private outdoor cabanas for massages if you like.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another spa question...

I think 10,000 waves is definitely noisy in the lobby when people are talking, but I've never heard anything approaching "noise" which I would connote negatively.

The folks at Nirvana do a great job as well. They know what they're doing and are small enough to provide you with a truly personal and quiet experience. I recommend one of their tubs while you're there. Very nice!

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
493 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another spa question...

We were at Nirvana spa last week. My body message was exceptional & my friend's facial was over the top. Get the facial with the woman who also does acupunction. Best facial she ever had. This is a very small spa, nothing on the exterior as in "special", really just a B&B with a small spa, but small & intimate & of course our messages were fabulous.

10,000 waves can be crowded but its a wonderful place to visit, even if you are only going to soak! can't miss the experience.

Washington
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another spa question...

Thanks for the advice. I made reservations at Absolute Nirvana for massages and the coconut rub with steam and shower. We can't wait!

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another spa question...

Always my favorite spa - is at the Loretto hotel... I saw they were selected by Conde nast magazine as #13 in North America... No other spas in Santa Fe made the list besides 10000 waves... #35. I go there at least 1x monthly - always exceptional! Great hotel, very nice people, amazing body work..

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another spa question...

I just had my first massage ever at Absolute Nirvana 3 days ago. I also had the sea salt/french clay scrub with a steam. My only regret? I wish I had done this earlier in my trip so that I could have scheduled a second one!

I also enjoyed a private soak at 10,000 Waves in their Shoji bath. Having done that earlier during my trip, I was able to schedule a second one...and a third one...

I expect to repeat both of these on pretty much every trip I make to Santa Fe.

Keith

Edited: 05 August 2010, 18:31
7. Re: Another spa question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 05:16