We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of casita in Winter?!?!

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Location of casita in Winter?!?!

I'm travelling to Santa Fe for my first time this winter. We are going to stay a week and I'm interested in staying in a "casita" rather than a hotel/motel. Can someone give me some guidance on what areas to stay. We'd like to walk as much as possible and don't plan on renting a car...or is this a bad idea? (Some of our friends will have a car that we could share some...but they are staying at El Rey). Where can we stay and walk relatively easily to restaurants, coffee shops, etc.? One place we're looking at is approximately 5 or 6 blocks east of the Plaza (on Closson St), and another place is south-southwest of the plaza , just south of the Sage bakehouse. We want a nice area, convenience, etc. Thanks!

6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of casita in Winter?!?!

Correction....I think Closson is WEST of the plaza, not east.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of casita in Winter?!?!

It's hard to find a "bad" area to stay that's within an easy walk of the Plaza in Santa Fe. All of them tend to be equally quaint and pedestrian friendly in their own way. We love some of the properties available just to the north and east of the Plaza (just beyond Paseo de Peralta on Griffin/Rio Grande) but have stayed in some closer to Canyon Road in the Acequia Madre neighborhood that are totally funky Santa Fe.

Depending upon when you stay, it can snow a lot in Santa Fe. Since you're wanting to walk a lot, you should bring the right clothing and footwear for dealing with slow snow removal on the sidewalks. Not trying to plug a product, but our UGG's have been completely reliable in the worst conditions to protect our feet.

The vacation rental listings reviewed on TA for Santa Fe are a great starting place. Although there are over 200 of them listed, you will find that they are represented by a few dozen property management companies. Here's the link to the TA listings and reviews:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g60958-Revie…

Of course the competing listing services are in the business of selling the properties, so TA tends to be a more objective STARTING place.

Some B&B's have actually gotten into the vacation rental mix due to an ordinance passed by the City of Santa Fe trying to control who's renting what (requiring licenses to operate vacation rentals). So, you can check with some of those that are closest to the Plaza to see if they either have something or can refer you to someone. One group of B&B's in and around the Plaza is the Inns of Distinction. Their website is:

http://www.santafeinns.com/

Good luck!

Edited: 16 September 2010, 00:14
New Mexico
Level Contributor
865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of casita in Winter?!?!

Check out VRBO.com too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of casita in Winter?!?!

Good re: location to Plaza include Adobe Abode, Casa del Toro, Chapelle St Casitas, El Farolito, El Paradero, El Bonito. You should check them out to see what you think, since they some may not be technically casitas.

5. Re: Location of casita in Winter?!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 06:15