We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

I’m planning on taking Amtrak into Albuquerque and thence to Santa Fe via Railrunner train (all of which I am learning about here). I looked at their Zone map, but I don’t know “which” Santa Fe stop is the right one. My ultimate goal is the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, but I am interested in other museums, local sites, etc. What location is best for doing most sightseeing on foot?

I also hope to find an inexpensive hotel centrally located, to avoid having to rent a car. Is that possible in Santa Fe?

I might opt to rent a car on the last day, to venture further out to see some O’Keeffe style scenery (I am an artist). But if I can avoid it for most of a 3-4 day trip, that would help the artist budget a lot. Thanks!

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

You'll want to go to the last stop, Santa Fe Depot which is not too far from the Plaza area. Just to give you an idea, according to Google maps, the walk from the Santa Fe Depot to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum is 0.6 miles and will take 11 minutes.

In your other thread I mentioned that you'd want to drive to Museum Hill. However, if you're in Santa Fe without a car you can still get there easily on the 'M' bus route which runs between the Plaza area and Museum Hill.

http://www.santafenm.gov/index.aspx?NID=1244

Keith

Edited: 19 February 2011, 02:42
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

Thanks, Keith! I’m still figuring things out. But if I can plan my itinerary in such a way as to group activities by proximity, I hope to be able to avoid renting the car, or at least leave it until all nearby sights have been visited. Sometimes having a car forces you to locate yourself further out from where the action is.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

You'll find the Plaza area, the Railyard District (where the Santa Fe Depot is) and Canyon Road quite walkable IMHO. Most of the essential sites in Santa Fe proper are in these locations with the exception of the 4 museums on Museum Hill. And of course you can take the bus for that. There is a nice café there if you're making a day of it at Museum Hill and will be there over lunch.

I DO recommend you get a car at some point. There are fantastic places to visit outside of the city as well, with Bandelier National Monument being the best of many options.

Keith

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

Thanks again. How much time would you recommend I spend in Santa Fe proper? The trip is supposed to be 3 days in NM (not counting train out there and train back), but I can stretch it further. I was planning on not buying the return Amtrak ticket until I see how much time I need. At the same time, I can't spend as long as a week.

I don't "do" nightlife, so when the museums and outdoor sights close, so do I.

If I can get a car for just one day (the last one) and see a little Georgia O'Keeffe scenery, I'll be happy. Bandelier is close enough in? What else is do-able in one day? Thanks.....

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

I'm not really sure how to give a time recommendation since only you really know what you'll enjoy doing! I do know that whatever you do, it won't be enough. :) I stayed 10 nights last summer (which also included day trips outside of Santa Fe) and am going back for more this coming summer.

I would think that you'd want to have a minimum of 2 full days in Santa Fe itself (and more would be better), especially given your art connection. So I'll list a lot of the options from which you might choose. Perhaps others will chime in, especially if I miss some essentials.

On your other thread I listed 8 museums. 7 of them are art museums in some form. All are worthwhile. I spent 1-2 hours in most of them (the Museum of Spanish Colonial Art and the Wheelright Museum of the American Indian are smaller and I spent less than 1 hour in each of them). Note that these are not large museums on the scale of the something like the Art Institute in Chicago and so are much more doable in a shorter time frame.

You should also add the New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse) just south of the plaza. On its several floors are around 600 pieces of New Mexican Art that are free for the viewing. There is even a guide to where the art is at the information desk on the main floor.

If you like modern art, then check out SITE Santa Fe in the Railyard District. Free on Fridays and during the adjacent Farmers Market on Saturdays.

Santa Fe is known for its many (MANY!) art galleries. There are 3 main concentrations with the greatest being on Canyon Road, then the Plaza area and then the Railyard District. All of these are walkable. There is debate as to whether Santa Fe or LA is the second largest art market in the US after New York.

In the plaza area are four historic churches that are all worth seeing: The St Francis of Assisi Cathedral Basilica, the Loretto Chapel, San Miguel Mission and the Santuario de Guadalupe.

Santa Fe is also just a great place to 'be'. Spend some time on The Plaza doing some people watching. Pop in to Kakawa Chocolate House for a Meso-American Chocolate Elixir. Take a break on Canyon Road at the small but nice El Zaguan garden. Enjoy one of many teas and a snack (or a meal) at The Teahouse at the far end of Canyon Road. Take a walk up to Cross of the Martyrs. Peruse the many magazines while having a coffee at Downtown Subscription and then visit the nearby Garcia's Bookstore. And if you want to splurge a bit, get a massage at one of the many excellent spas in Santa Fe. I've been to Absolute Nirvana Spa and loved it. There are others that are also highly regarded.

I'm sure there's more within Santa Fe, but I think I've caught most of the main things that are in walking distance.

If you're only planning on a car for one day, then given your interests you should make it a priority to drive up to Abiquiu and the surrounding area where Georgia O'Keeffe lived and worked. You could visit Ghost Ranch and see many of the landscapes that she painted. And are you aware that there are tours available to see her house in Abiquiu? (There are no tours of her house at Ghost Ranch.) These tours must be booked in advance and often are completely sold out. (Note that I have not been - yet - to the Abiquiu area and so can't give any more than this general advice.)

http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/her-houses.html

http://www.ghostranch.org/

As far as nightlife, that's not really the focus of Santa Fe. When I've gone it has been during the summer classical music festival season and have spent my evenings that way. During other times of the year I would expect my evenings to just include dinner, watching a glorious sunset and maybe a late night visit to Ten Thousand Waves.

Speaking of which, I HIGHLY recommend a visit to Ten Thousand Waves to at a minimum enjoy one of their hot baths (and maybe even a massage). Very close to Santa Fe, but you'll need a car to visit. One of my favorite things to do in Santa Fe.

http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/

Keith

New York
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

bookmarking. I love this info.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

In your Topic heading you ask which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe. You then mention that you're taking Amtrak to Albuquerque then Railrunner back to Santa Fe.

Amtrak's Lamy stop outside Santa Fe has shuttle service into town from the train. Unless you're staying in Albuquerque, get off the train outside Santa Fe in Lamy, NM. Railrunner schedules are not always convenient so we typically recommend it primarily for sightseeing purposes. If you've got the time, however, it's fun. Be aware there are no mid-day trains and the train stops for unexplainable lengths at a time at several places along the way.

If you're taking the Railrunner to Santa Fe, get off at the last stop in the Santa Fe Railyard. The train heads back to Albuquerque from there.

Edited: 05 March 2011, 18:10
New Mexico
Level Contributor
856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

Yes, Lamy is the better AMTRAK stop for Santa Fe than ABQ but know that Lamy is 18 miles outside Santa Fe. You need to pre- book the shuttle through AMTRAK. I think is cost about $20ish each way.

505-982-8829

Edited: 06 March 2011, 01:15
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

I stayed in Albuquerque for 2 days first, then I came to Santa Fe today. The plan was to head back to Albuquerque on Tuesday to catch the Amtrak train. But now I'm re-thinking that, and wondering if the shuttle to Lamy would be much simpler, and give me more time in SF. The Railrunner schedule is really not convenient for my AMtrak train, which leaves ABQ about noon.

How much of a hassle is this shuttle? It's just a bus, right? I already have my Amtrak tickets from ABQ to Chicago.

Also, would getting on one stop further on be an issue?

THanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Railrunner stop for Santa Fe?

Lamy is nice, but a bit out of the way, and except for a few shops, rather desolate. You will see some good landscape, but I would not recommend it as a good way to get to SF. Railrunner, bus shuttle or car rental is more practical.