We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corralitos, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

Had a bad experience with the Lamy Shuttle.. Arrived at the station, no one to meet us. It is a ghost town. Cell phone service no bars. Thanks to the kindness of some other travelers we made it to town.

On departure day we observed new arrivals at the station having to wait until the next train disembarked before the shuttle would take them.

Have other people had problems?

Maybe everyone is using the Rail Runner trains and Lamy is becoming obsolete.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

Yours is the first trouble I've heard of regarding the shuttle from Lamy to Santa Fe, and vice-versa. Since it serves as the primary link between the Amtrak stop at Lamy, and Santa Fe, about 16 miles away, it is critical.

Lamy "is" pretty much a ghost town except during the two Amtrak stops (one going east, one going west) daily. It is not a place one would want to be stranded.

Hopefully, more people will share their experiences recently with Tripadvisor. Thank you for your input.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

We'll let you know as soon as we've had our first experience -- which is coming soon. We're going to take the train to Chicago just for kicks and our interest in the shuttle is definitely piqued.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

Did you have an advance reservation for the shuttle from Lamy to Santa Fe? I think that is needed to ensure a pickup.

The Lamy station is staffed with Amtrak employees from 8:45am to 4:15pm. They should have been able to assist you.

The Northbound and Southbound train cross Lamy within 20 minutes of each other. (Assuming both trains are on time.) So it makes sense that the shuttle will wait for both trains before departing for Santa Fe. Santa Fe is 18 miles away.

I have had many guests take the shuttle without any problems.

Lamy is not in danger of becoming obsolete.(at least not yet ) It is an option to take the Railrunner to/from ABQ and take Amtrak from ABQ but the layover in ABQ can be about 3 to 4 hours. Not very practical.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

I meant Eastbound and Westbound ( Not Northbound and Southbound) Silly me!!

Southernmost...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

I have taken the Lamy Shuttle at least 10 times, most recently 6 weeks ago.

Here's what I know: This is a family-run business contracted through Amtrak. It has been in operation for many, many years and reservations are absolutely necessary (not weeks in advance as with your tickets, but 24 hrs before). This last trip, it took me an hour thru Amtrak, to book as the shuttle phone (private home) was NOT being answered.

The gentlemen that owns the business has a very sick wife at this time, and his lovely grown daughter and a driver picked me up this time. Perfect experience/both trains arriving about the same time. They take you anywhere in SF: grandma's house, casita rental, hotel, car rentals, etc. and will pick you up whereever you wish. They tell you 24 hrs before you

leave SF EXACTLY what time you will be picked up for RETURN trip.

One experience definitely sticks in my elderly mind.

Three years ago, my LAMY tagged luggage stayed on the train and off it went to Chicago!!! I was steaming, and pretty upset.

The Amtrak employees were seriously grumpy however, they called the train and said it would return on the (already late) train after they got it.

The Shuttle gentlemen told me not to worry, that he would wait the 2 plus hours. Since Chicago train was late, there were no shuttle travelers from that train and the only couple on the eastbound train said they would be happy to wait with us as they hadn't a clue where they were staying or anything else about theire trip(??) 2 1/2 hours later, gracious Lamy shuttle driver dropped all of us at Enterprise in SF.

I love the interaction with the shuttle driver, You can ask them any questions and get a friendly answer. Also, I made "friends forever" on the shuttle in. I did take RR back to ABQ since I needed to checkout at 11 and

RR was close and available. That 1/2 of trip worked and was $3 rather

than $20 one way shuttle (booked/printed unline before leaving home).

Hope you keep taking the train!!! It's a one-of-a-kind experience!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

We had a terrific experience with the Lamy station and I took the opportunity to talk to the Amtrak employees about the Shuttle. They made it emphatically clear from the beginning of the conversation that the Shuttle service is remarkably reliable and often "rescues" people who didn't know that the station was in the middle of nowhere.

The Amtrak website and all the literature aboard train regarding the Southwest Chief run between Chicago and Los Angeles makes it pretty clear that advance reservations are required. This is simply because Lamy isn't a stop where the train lingers very long and very few people get on and off there. Longer stops are in Albuquerque and Raton (this time of year because of Boy Scouts going to Filmont Ranch).

It is a shame that anyone would ever get stuck at Lamy, but it also seems that the Amtrak folks were pretty aware of how to get stranded passengers into town. The shuttle service isn't allowed to ignore anyone with a reservation, so if that is the case, the original post should lead to a formal complaint with Amtrak. If a reservation was not made. . .

On the return trip from Chicago, an Amtrak employee mentioned that they had heard rumors of a possible buy-out of the Rail Runner Line into Santa Fe, or that Amtrak would operate the line. Not sure as to the validity of the rumor, however.

This much I have to say: your vacation begins when you board the train. It was an incredible and wonderful trip that generated memories sure to last a lifetime.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

We just got back from our trip to Santa Fe and the surrounding area and used the Lamy shuttle. We found them to be professional and absolutely dependable. The day we got off the train there were 12 people including ourselves and a lot of luggage. They had a large passenger van with a small luggage trailer attached and easily managed to get us all to our destinations around Santa Fe. The day we left there were only 3 of us, so they used a car and that worked out very well also. We were given a pick up time and they were right on time. Now that I've been there and experienced the service, I can easily say I'd have no reservations about using them again and recommend them highly.

8. Re: lamy shuttle to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:15