We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HIGH vs. low road to Taos

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HIGH vs. low road to Taos

is it beter to take the low to and high back or viceversa..and if just a day how early departure to enjoy most of the sites along and in..recommendations welcome

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

There are reasons to do it either way. My own preference is Low to Taos and High back to Santa Fe. By travelling the Low road, you get some great views when it opens up over Taos Valley. I also think the views on the High Road, coming back towards Santa Fe, are better.

But really they're both excellent. I think the most important thing is to do one in one direction and the other in the other! :)

Keith

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

It depends on when you leave Taos, driving the High Road at night is a bit more difficult, much more remote than the Low/River route.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
848 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

It is really a toss up. You won't go wrong either way,,,

But in my humble opinion..

I prefer the High road up. It is a little longer. I agree with CA that I would not want to do the High road in the dark. I did take it home one night just before sunset and I had the sun in my eyes the whole time coming down the moutain.

I like the low road coming back. Its a little shorter. Stop at Black Mesa Winery in Velarde, They have a chocolate wine called Black Beauty. Some thing different.

Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

If you are only traveling one direction to Taos and farther north, would you recommend high or low? What is the highway number for each? This will be our first visit to NM. This will be the end of Sept.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

If only going 1 direction, take the High Road. http://highroadnewmexico.com/

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

Absolutely High Road!

Keith

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

High Road.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

If only one choice: High Road. I prefer both routes for an early morning drive. As Keith mentioned, the view of Taos mountains on the low road once you climb up on the plateau from the river is awesome. Sometimes you'll be greeted by double rainbows in either direction. I also like the drive through the canyon along the river, with a stop at Embudo Station. Low road is quicker, and I usually take it if going beyond Taos. (There's a shortcut throgh Espanola.) On the high road, I like visiting the santuario before the crowds and I like to stop for lunch at the Rancho de Chimayo.

For High Road: 284/85 north out of Santa Fe. Just past Pojoaque, at bottom of hill, take right at Nambe, Hwy 503. Rural, winding along small river. Then opens up. Take left at Juan Medina Road, County Rd 98 to Chimayo. Well marked but don't expect big sign. After santuario and Ranchdo de Chimayo, right on 76. In Truchas, stay on 76, but it will be a left turn. After Chamisal, take right on 75 to Penasco, probably largest village along route. In middle of Penasco, highway forks left and then uphill. Soon after, 75 will deadend and you take left on 518 (also state route 3) uphill and then on to Ranchos de Taos. Right on 68 to Taos plaza.

Trescore Cremasco
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

"the view of Taos mountains on the low road once you climb up on the plateau from the river is awesome"

Hi guys! At which point does this occur? I've seen on google maps that road 75, shortly before pensaco, turns left and joins the "low one" round La Junta. If I take that detour shall I have that sight while having drive the high road for a while? is it a nice mix of the two or is it just not worth it?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HIGH vs. low road to Taos

That would work. That route takes you through Dixon. I've taken it. The Taos view doesn't come until you leave the river after Pilar.