We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

Oro Valley
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

Is it worth the trip? How far is Abiquiu and directions from Santa Fe?

Enchanted Journeys de Santa Fe
Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours
Santa Fe Mountain Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Loretto Line
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Santa Fe Art Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

"Worth the trip" depends upon whether you're a lover of art and history and whether you're going to dig a little deeper and do a little more when you're in Abiquiu. The drive is about 60 miles northwest of Santa Fe on US 84. You'll meet at the Abiquiu Inn from where you'll be taken by mini-bus to the home. But don't stop there, please!

We encourage you to venture out on your own in the area. Don't rely upon a tour guide to tell you where to go or what to do. Visit Ghost Ranch. Consider driving out to the Christ of the Desert Monastery if you're brave enough. In other words, if you're going to go all that way off the beaten path, go ahead and spend some time seeing what O'Keefe saw.

The scenery is mile after mile of spectacular reds, oranges, yellows, white, beige, and even a green layer of rock. The landscape is unmatched. Many movies have been shot there over the years; the most famous being City Slickers while some of the more recent ones include 310 to Yuma and Cowboys & Aliens.

If you like a little adventure, take a guided river trip on the Chama River from any of the river outfitters based in Santa Fe or Taos. Pretty special stuff here as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

There is also a nice tour from the conference center at Ghost Ranch itself. Their staff takes you into the "outback" and shows you the very places where O'Keeffe did her particular paintings, etc. I loved it.

http://www.ghostranch.org/museums-and-activities/o'keeffe-tours

New Mexico
Level Contributor
884 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

You can now book the house tours online. This is a brand new welcome addition...

http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/her-houses.html

If you decide to go, book it because alot of dates sell out.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

Hi, we just returned from Santa Fe and toured the home in Abuquiu. We like to see and do things away from Santa Fe and it makes a nice day trip. That being said; the home is guarded with restricted access and one cannot just walk up and take a tour. The tour requires advanced reservations and a bit of planning since it is an hour's drive out of Santa Fe. If you are expecting to see alot of her art and be able to roam freely on the grounds, you may be disappointed. I have been a fan of Georgia O'Keeffe for many years and was enchanted with her house, so this was a great tour for me. Definitely "worth the trip".

The area around Abiquiu and further north up to Ghost Ranch is beautiful and is worth exploring. In New Mexico, one can take any road and it will lead to something worth seeing.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

I took this home tour with my husband a number of years ago and still talk about it to this day. It is a glimpse into the life of a legend and greatly informs her work. That tour came up just this past week at work with a new Ketchikan resident who shares my ties to New Mexico and she remarked how memorable and interesting that tour is. In my mind it's a once in a lifetime experience and not to be missed.

6. Re: Georgia O'Keeffe Home Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 22:15