We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
puerto rico
1 post
Save Topic
driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

Two questions:

- is it a good idea to drive from Dallas to Santa Fe at the beginning of January? I suspect the weather might not be ideal...

- what is a good place to stay midway?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,975 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

It is impossible to say how the roads will be, they can be clear or snow/ice and possible closed down for a few hours. One late Dec/early Jan we got 3 feet of snow in Santa Fe! Other years it has been warm and sunny and we went hiking. Right now we have a big storm dumping snow on the eastern portions of the state and some here as well. The interstates are closed at various places. I would make sure you watch the weather and road conditions. www.kob.com or www.koat.com are local news channels and http://advanced.nmroads.com/

I don't know Texas, so can't help on that.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

When we're traveling through that area we usually stay at the Drury Inn in Amarillo. There are a couple restaurants next to it and they have a free cocktail hour and good hot breakfast at the hotel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

This has been a hard winter so far...I suggest you fly & rent in Albuquerque. One can also link to the Railrunner commuter train...Once in Santa Fe ...with a good coat & shoes one can walk ...

4. Re: driving from Dallas to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2012, 10:20