We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Effect of elevation in Santa fe

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Effect of elevation in Santa fe

What Is effect?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

Depends where you have been living...At 7000 ft base elevation the third flight of stairs is a challenge for some visitors ... One is advised to avoid intensive exertion,hydrated, wear sunscreen & abroad brimmed hat...... carracar

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

All good recommendations. Both Santa Fe and Taos are over 7,000ft. in elevation, while Albuquerque varies in the 5,000ft. range. If one is driving in from out of state, the higher altitude is achieved slowly, so acclimation is usually easy for most people. If one is flying in to Albuquerque, I always recommend staying the first day at least here to adapt from lower elevations at home..

Santa Fe is a walking city, so anyone with heart or respiratory problems should take it easy, and make use of the numerous benches. The historic Plaza makes a good central location to work your way out from in differing directions.

Ears plugging are the most common problem. Just hold your head down, and swallow a few times. Chewing gum also helps. For babies and toddlers, this can be a more serious problem at times, but adapting at lower altitudes also helps them.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 19:33
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

Headaches can also be a result of not being acclimated to altitude. Just drink plenty of water to stay plenty hydrated!!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

All good advise. You may or may not experience any symptoms of altitude sickness. I travel between Austin, TX and Santa Fe fairly regularly. Sometimes it's a problem, sometimes not. Headaches, shortness of breath, and general tiredness seem to be the most common symptoms. It gets easier in a day or so. If you spend your first day relaxing and taking things slowly as you become adjusted to the altitude, everything will be easier the second day. Drink LOTS of water! And SERIOUSLY, use sunscreen. It's so easy to get sunburned without even noticing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

If you have any medical issues, like high blood pressure or heart issues (like atrial fibrillation) it can be tiring, and you may have slowness and shortness of breath. I recently took some meds for altitude sickness (you have to start in advance before you go) and it helped a bit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

All good advice. For most people coming to 7000' will not be enough to really make them sick, but you'll feel it. When people come in the winter to ski, and find themselves at 11,000', they often get altitude sickness, sometimes quite seriously.

In general, I'd include the warning that if you are used to exercising every day, cut it in half. In other words, if you run two miles each morning, make it a mile instead. Stay hydrated, we recommend a liter of water per day in addition to whatever you drink at meals. Avoid overexertion, esp if you combine it with one of our margaritas- you could pass out and wake up in the hospital.

For people coming here for longer stays it is good to take a supplement for iron for a month or so after you arrive. One of the least known side effects of moving to higher altitudes is that you can develop a long-term chronic anemia, not bad enough to make you sick, but one that will leave you tired and run down for months. This can affect locals too when they have been away for a length of time. I travel a great deal and am often away for long periods. When I return I take such a supplement to help me readjust to altitude.

7. Re: Effect of elevation in Santa fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:42