We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

In August, I'm travelling from the UK to the USA with my girlfriend. We're hiring a car and driving from Chicago to Los Angeles along Route 66.

We're looking for somewhere to stay in Santa Fe for one night.

Our criteria:

- Relatively low cost (maybe $60 for a room).

- A unique Route 66 experience.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you,

Will

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

As I mentioned in one of your other posts, check the El Rey Inn. Also look at the Silver Saddle Motel which is right next to Jackalope a fun, local shopping institution and Kings Rest Court.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

The Silver Saddle Motel gets good reviews on this website and looks ideal.

I will check out the other two as well. This message board is so useful - thank you.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

August is our most expensive month. If you find a motel for $60 or under, don't expect anything great. It will be very low end.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

Most of the motels that people have recommended seem to cost about $60-70 for the night. I don't mind paying a bit more. But I'm not looking for anything too luxurious.

Basic = fine by me :)

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

We drove to Santa Fe through an incredible thunderstorm. By the time we arrived, the Silver Saddle Motel was beginning to get flooded so I helped the owner put out some sandbags - she rewarded me with some free drinks and board games to while-away the time as we waited for the power supply to come back on after a power cut. Once the city regained power, the Motel itself was a delight (very quaint) and the city was just brilliant. It felt different to all the other cities in the USA. Very historic and quirky. A true highlight of the trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

Both El Rey and Silver Saddle are older, but IMO Silver Saddle is a more "authentic" choice.

I actually prefer ElRey but it has updated and remodeled and is a bit more upscale.

7. Re: Suitable motel for Route 66 journey through Santa Fe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:15