We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

I was in the process of making reservations for a tour to Taos Pueblo and was advised that it was going to be closed for a ceremony during the time of our visit (end of september).

I am not a fan of driving through mountains so is there any reason to visit Taos (meaning I would probably not take the high road!) if the Pueblo is not open?

Can you suggest another place to visit -- my travel companion and I are two women in our late 50s. One of us is outdoorsy and the other one (me) has some health issues that makes me wary of high elevations and not able to hike for any long distance.

What about a bus tour or something similar? Or is there a state park or area that might satisfy my friend's desire for scenery without having to do long hikes uphill or in a high elevation? Please help!

Thank you!

Kristina

Enchanted Journeys de Santa Fe
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Loretto Line
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Santa Fe Art Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Santa Fe Jeep Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Film & TV Tours, Day Trips
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

If you don't like driving through the mountains or hiking, and Taos Pueblo is closed, that leaves shopping and art galleries. If you don't like high altitude, realize that from Santa Fe north is 7,000 feet and above. Albuquerque may be your best bet.

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

So - any state parks or scenic areas that are not in the mountains? That we could drive through and stop to take photos or enjoy the outdoors?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
182 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

We just got back and I must say, I found the low road quite lovely. The pueblo was closed while we were there too so we drove to the Rio Grande Gorge bridge and then on to the Earthships a mile from that. Didn't care much for the Taos plaza as I prefer Santa Fe (found Taos to be a bit tacky), but I was very happy we did the trip. We took the low road in and the high road out. Both were beautiful drives.

We pulled over a few times and took pictures. Along the low road there was the river, an antique gas museum (free) and many other beautiful vistas.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

You may want to visit Albuquqerque and then go take a tour of Acoma Pueblo to the west. Also just west of Abq is Petroglyph Nat Mon.

Southeast of Abq is Salinas Pueblos Nat Mon, 3 different locations and out in the rolling prairie.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

As has been stated, even Albuquerque city limits range frrom about 4,600 ft. to over 6,000ft. elevation.

Given your stated parameters, I too would recommend Albuquerque's historic Old Town area of shops, museums, and restaurants initialy. The entire OT area is only about 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile. Easy strolling is the norm, with many benches available, especially in and around the plaza, and its adjoining picturesque Catholic church.

If you take a day trip to Santa Fe, incluide the diverse "Turquoise Trail," a.k.a. NM-14. This backroad between Albuquerque and Santa Fe offers several types of landscapes within a short 70 miles. The quaint, once upon a time coal mining town of Madrid (Mad-rid) has many cute shops in its short three block main street (NM-14).

Another longer, but similar loop drive would be Albuquerque, to Bernalillo, then west on US550 to San Ysidro and onto NM-4. Then north through Jemez Pueblo and the "Red Rocks" to Jemez Springs. Visit the Jemez State Park, with its visitors center, and Pueblo, and Spanish mission ruins. For lunch, the Ojo Saloon and Restaurant is as "Old West" as almost any you can find in New Mexico.

Continue north and then east on NM-4, passing the huge caldera of a once massive volcano. After a drive through some especially beautiful pines, the road branches to either Los Alamos, or Bandelier National Monument. The monument involves a great deal of hiking and climbing, so it would probably not be your cup of tea either. Unless you want to see Los Alamos, I would still take the Bandelier branch for scenic beauty, with fantastic multi-colored rock formations. You do not have to go into Bandelier National Monument...it is an off-shoot from the main highway. Eventually, you will come out near Pojoaque, about 15 miles north of Santa Fe, and can then return south via the Santa Fe Bypass to I-25 and Albuquerque, or drive on into Santa Fe to explore its many sites.

It is unfortunate that Taos Pueblo is closed on your dates, as normally it is one of my "must sees" for visitors to Northern New Mexico. Where ever you end up, it will be guaranteed to be nothing like home...but that is why we get away on trips, isn't it?

Have a safe trip, and may you discover many enchantments of your own.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

Does anyone know when exactly Toas Pueblo will be closed?? The Pueblo Website shows the pueblo to be open the whole month of September. We will be there the last week of the month and had planned to visit. Hope we don't have to miss it.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

According to the Taos Pueblo website (I didn't look at it earlier today) there are no scheduled closures on their calendar in September. The end of September is San Geronimo Days, but the pueblo is open, possibly no tours given then??? http://www.taospueblo.com/events .

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

If it's a feast day that you CAN attend, I highly recommend doing so. Yes, tours may be cancelled for part or all of the day. Shops may be closed for part or all of the day. Cameras will not be allowed. In that sense the Pueblo is closed. But generally it's possible to be present for the dances. (Being respectful, keeping a distance, no clapping.) and it's an amazing experience.

In 2010 I was able to see one of these feast days. Mesmerizing and I ended up staying for the entire series of dances (which were repeated something like 12 times).

Keith

Deltaville, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

My daughter and I are flying to NM on Tuesday for an 8 day trip.

Since we planned to visit Taos Pueblo, I used the link provided by CasaAzul to check the Events page on the Taos Pueblo site. The Calendar indicates that every day in September (and October) is OPEN.

http://www.taospueblo.com/events

When we get to NM, I'll call to double-check. Phone is 575-758-1028.

Thanks for the link!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taos Pueblo closed, should we still visit area?

I too recommend that if it is an open feast day those are well-worth attending even if there are no pueblo tours. It would be a very special view of the pueblo via the ceremony & dancing. I love them. It really seems like an honor to attend.