We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week in new mexico - itinerary help

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
week in new mexico - itinerary help

We are planning a week in New Mexico in October. We plan to hit Albuquerque, Santa Fe and hopefully Carlsbad Caverns. Is this too ambitious?

I am interested in the Native American Culture, maybe hit a pueblo or two, seeing some of the mission churches, and of course the natural envrionment/scenery. I am open to suggestions!!! Thanks for your help.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

It would be a little ambitous because Santa Fe is in Northern New Mexiico, and Carlsbad is in the far south. I am assuiming that you will be going to the balloon fiesta, and I would recommend to visit old town in ABQ along with the tram and all the other things you have heard on this site. You should see the taos pueblo, or sky city, etc. Hope this helps.

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

It does help thanks! Actually, we will NOT be there during the balloon fiesta - we try to avoid larger crowds and busier seasons at all costs!! That is held the first two weeks in October, is that correct???

I thought the Caverns might be well out of the way for a one week trip, and it appears I was right. I am fascinated by the landscape in this area, and am open to suggestions.

Are you familiar with any of the mission churches? Any that should be seen over any of the others??

Thanks once again!!

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

Hi lou - If you want to see some beautiful churches and scenary take the "High Road" to Taos from Santa Fe. There is the Santuario de Chimayo at Chimayo, the most legendary. There is a beautiful old church at Las Trampas, about half way to Taos and then there's the church at Rancho de Taos, the one Georgia O'Keefe painted. See the pueblo at Taos, it's actually about 5 miles outside of taos. Have lunch in Taos at the Bent Street Cafe and take the main highway back to Santa Fe along the Rio Grande. It's a nice day trip. Of course, there's the "Oldest Church" in Santa Fe and the Loretto Chapel with it's famous staircase. A day to look around on the Plaza and Canyon Road is needed. You will wish you had more than a week in New Mexico, it will be hard to narrow down what to see and what to leave out (for the next trip). Have a great trip!

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

THanks so much!! We will definitely look into this option!

5. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 16:12
lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

I understand that though many of the pueblos have posted schedules, that they are subkject to change at a moment's notice. Is this the case with all of them or perhaps just the more remote? It would be disappointing to travel a relatively long distance only to find out it is closed. I am guessing they must have general information telephone numbers that you can check....

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

Hi Lou,

Although Carlsbad Caverns is among my favourite destinations I would not recommand them on a 6 day tour only. It's 300 miles one way an not on the nicest of roads (most of the time).

Like the other posters say, better stay at the mid and northern part of NM.

A great destination and a cultural topsite is Chaco Culture NHP on a daytrip. It's at least 30 miles on dirt roads, and it's a long drive to nowhere, but don't let that stop you.Bring water and food and a good car. October is a perfect time to visit!

As Bandmom has said, the high road is worth driving too. You can go to Taos, but also to Las Vegas (NM). A little town well worth visiting.

From ABQ to Santa Fe you might take the turquoise trail (hw 14).

If you find Chaco too far away, there is a good "second choise" in Bandelier NM of Santa Fe. Also Old Towns ABQ and Santa Fe makes nice visits and to see some tourists, and culture, visit Taos and maybe drive the enchanted circle. And after the Balloon Fiesta you'll find plenty of accomodation.

And not to forget. Visit Acoma Pueblo west of ABQ on a guided tour.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

Mean the Balloon Fiesta in ABQ and not in Taos of course.

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

I really want to thank everyone for their advice - it is helping us to narrow down and fine tune our choices!

Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: week in new mexico - itinerary help

what good suggestions you've received. Bandelier Park is a fabulous hiking experience .My friend and I were incredibly disappointed in Albuquerque as was my husband when he travelled with me later. Old town is just a bunch of really nice buildings housing tourist junk that no one would want to buy. Miss it for sure. It is just a big city with no character or charm. You will regret spending precious time there. I have given it three chances now and each time I have wished I had gone elsewhere.

Better take in Madrid or Taos if you're pressed for time.