We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

We're flying into Santa Fe in early January, picking up a rental car, and, dependent on weather, intend to visit Tent Rocks. Our flight arrives in mid-morning so we may not be able to check in to our hotel that early.

Since we'll already be on the way, I've thought about going to Tent Rocks from the airport. We'll need to get lunch at some point. I know there's a cafeteria in the airport, but are there any other suggestions about something more "New Mexican" along the way?

Thanks!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

Unfortunately, you'll need to go into Santa Fe to eat something healthy and hearty. We recommend that you go straight into town via the Airport Road and visit a grocery store on Cerillos Road, then turn around South on Cerillos and have a lunch at Tent Rocks -- weather permitting.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

There is a really good New Mexican restaurant on Rodeo Road called Dos Amigos. It's about a mile east of the intersection of Cerillos and Rodeo road (which is Airport Road on the west). It's right next to a large Chevron station. A small place, but really great New Mexican. There are a few other restaurants close to that intersection, and possibly CasaAzul will drop a note in here about them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

Another option, tricky to find but worth it is the great El Parasol off Route 14/599/Dinosaur Trail area.

Take 599 South from SF Airport, then cross the junction of I-25 to Rt. 14. Make a left on 14 (north), just past Rancho de Viejo Blvd and it is approaching on your right. (Its hard to find, but ask around. Everyone know El Parasol)

http://www.elparasol.com/santa-fe-south.aspx

Its called the "Santa Fe South" location, and has some tables and chairs (in comparison to the one on Cerrillos in Santa Fe).

Very NM. Excellent food!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

elparasol.com/Data/…menuflyerdinosaur.pdf

(I like calabacitas -vegetarian. The chicken burrito is almost all chicken. Huge.)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

Plenty of places along Airport Rd/Rodeo Road and southern Cerrillos Road.

Lots of Mexico Mexican restaurants along Airport, Near the intersection of Airport and Cerrillos are a number New Mexican restaurants including Blue Corn Cafe, Horseman's Haven, PC's Restaurant, Flying Tortilla, Posa's, El Milagro, Plaza Cafe South. Also a number of local non Mexican style The Ranch House, Capital Grill, Cleopatra etc.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

Casa is right--loads of places along Airport Rd. if you drive a bit closer to town.

If you're in a hurry, there are actually pretty decent take-out fajitas to be had from the gas station closest to the intersection with NM599. I think it's a Shell station.

Around lunch hour, skip the pre-made stuff in front and go to the counter in the back for made-to-order. And get lots of napkins.

I'm out past the airport a lot and often swing in for a fast bite for lunch.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

My choice for LARGE portions, would be Horsemans Haven... Not well signed...It shares a parking lot with a service station...Turning from Airport rd. on to Cerrillos... it will be on the left just past the La Quinta Motel...Beyond this area there is not any food service apparent down the I-25 to The La Bajada Interchange...Highway 16, into Pena Blanca & Cochiti Pueblo...Yes, hope for good roads & a clear day...enjoy... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

My choice for LARGE portions, would be Horsemans Haven... Not well signed...It shares a parking lot with a service station...Turning LEFT,from Airport rd. on to Cerrillos... it will be on the... RIGHT... just past the La Quinta Motel...Beyond this area there is not any food service apparent down the I-25 to The La Bajada Interchange...Highway 16, into Pena Blanca & Cochiti Pueblo...Yes, hope for good roads & a clear day...enjoy... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

NO, dammit, RIGHT at Cerrillos & LEFT into the parking area... Never underestimate the stupefying effects of turkey and fixins...Merry Christmas...carracar

10. Re: Lunch between Santa Fe airport and Tent Rocks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 10:15