We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten Thousand Waves

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Ten Thousand Waves

We have plans to visit Ten Thousand Waves in late March. Any recommendations on private baths and spa treatments? I'd like to keep it under $250 for two people. Also, what is the best time of day for a visit? Would it be too rushed if we went late in the day? How many hours for a typical visit? Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

You can go to their website and shop the treatments as well as their hot tubs to see what will fit into your budget.

My preferred time for a visit is Sunday in late afternoon. I really enjoy staying in that relaxed state for the rest of the evening. I would enjoy a hot soak first to loosen up your muscles and then have a treatment. You can enjoy the sauna afterwards if you wish. And, some of the tubs have a private sauna with it as well.

How many hours? You have to arrive 15 minutes before your hot tub reservation. I prefer to get there a little earlier to enjoy the sauna for a few minutes or sit outside by the koi pond. It's very relaxing.

So, 15 minutes plus an hour for your tub and the rest depends on what treatment you select.

Enjoy!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

We've been once, and I was very impressed. You do want to set aside ample time so you never feel rushed. As I recollect we spent an afternoon there. The drive up and down will also add some relaxed time. As I recollect, there are nice changing rooms, with showers, and they supply everything. Then people wander about the koi pond/waterfall garden in their robes and sandals before what they have reserved. It is very pleasant there, with benches and foot baths to soak in. I don't remember what massage my spouse got; maybe it was a combination of smaller ones or the "nose to toes" samplar, but seems to me we arranged all of that over the telephone and they were quite accommodating and helpful in suggesting the massage package. We used the Shoji private bath, 50 minutes, views of the mountain woods beyond the fence rails, a chair in the sun, hot bath, a cooling plunge pool and a sauna, which we alternated. Very respectful of privacy there. There's also a meditation room you can use before you change back. Some food and drink available. A nice gift shop. Kth has written some good trip reports/reviews a couple years back.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 18:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

I am a "regular". Its wonderful. All the tubs are good, but I prefer the "wood" tubs.

(One Waves and Kobuta). There are often monthly "specials" which is a good price for a combo tub/treatment. Just now, in Jan, its 32% off on everything after 5 with combo. They also offer couples massage if you call them.

Late in the day is a good time. During the week is better than weekend, although it is peaceful every day. Even night is a good time, esp. with views of stars from hot tub. Since the tub is "hot" you can go at night even in the winter (or during a snowstorm, wonderful).

They are helpful over the phone.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

Thank you NYNM for the heads up on monthly specials!

We enjoy the wooden tubs as well and the mountainside setting is serene and peaceful.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

I love, love, love Ten Thousand Waves. It's always on my agenda when in Santa Fe. I have used the private baths many times...and I actually like the tile, ceramic or concrete options! To each his own.

I have also done a combo treatment, The Natural, which you'll see on the website, which I've very much enjoyed. However, as you'll see on the website, it would be way more than you'll want to spend.

It's going to be difficult to get your total for 2 under $250 and be able to experience what 10K has to offer, partly because the cost of soaking is per person.

So I suggest a 55 minute soak in One Waves or Kabuki (NYNM's favorite) for cheapest soaking price. While my personal favorite is Shoji or Waterfall for 85 minutes, you won't be disappointed. They're all great. That will be $31 each.

Then add on a therapeutic massage as the best basic service. The Natural combo I mentioned includes this and I've enjoyed my massages there very much. A 50 minute massage is $109.

That would make your total cost for these two services $280 plus tax plus tip to your massage therapist.

It's no problem to book a double room in order to have a couples' massage. Just let them know when booking.

If you absolutely need to get the cost down and want to have a soak and a treatment, I recommend the 25 minute Yasuragi head & neck treatment (also part of The Natural) for $59. That would get your total down to $180 plus tax plus tip.

(Of course what I REALLY recommend is The Natural and upgrade your bath to Shoji and to 85 minutes which would run the two of you over $500 plus tax plus tip.)

Keith

Edited: 09 January 2013, 20:16
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

I've enjoyed the many comments here. I think a shared "couples" spa experience would be the ideal but the way we got around the cost was dad & kids enjoyed the Shoji and then literally "took a hike" in the nearby mountains while mom got the full pampering on her own. Everyone was happy.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

Thank you all so much for taking the time to make suggestions. I am really looking forward to Ten Thousand Waves!

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

(Forgot to say…Go Illini! Beat Minnesota!)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

Another way to keep costs down is to use the "public tub" which is really not so bad. One is a coed tub, tho mostly men (because there is a public woman's tub). It has a good location, more "up in the trees", a nice deck and large sauna. I can imagine you want a private tub, but this is an option.

In spas in Europe, almost all saunas have a "mixed" option (mixed sex) and also some people (in US, not Europe) wear a towel or bathing suit. You may personally feel better that way, even if other patrons are nude. If you want to do this, call 10K and ask if there's a time when the "co-ed" tubs are not crowded, even empty.

10. Re: Ten Thousand Waves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:18