We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

Hi,

I'll be driving from Tucumcari to Santa Fe along I-40W. The fastest option looks to be the 285 but is the 84 any more scenic and therefore worth the extra distance?

Thank you

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

The 84 from West of Santa Rosa Will be the more interesting route... However,if your starting the day in Tucumcari and going into camp in Santa Fe... You have the time to enjoy the more scenicand slow 3. along the Pecos River, to join the I-25 ... carracar

Edited: 20 August 2013, 03:20
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

285 is definitely faster and more direct, and it's a pretty scenic route as well.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

If you take US 84, you will be travelling on the original route 66 highway. It is a pretty drive, and after you meet I-25, it remains scenic all the way to Santa Fe. You can even drive a portion of old 66 after meeting 25. If you are interested, contact me, and I will give you directions.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

Thanks for all your help. I hadn't considered the 3, we won't be in a hurry so certainly a possibility. I've had a look at the 285 and the 3 via google street view (the US 84 appears to have been recorded at night!). Both look great, totally different to anything we have in the UK that's for sure. Sandiaman I'll be in contact.

5. Re: Driving Tucumcari to Santa Fe, US-84 N or US-285 N?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:18