We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Staying in Sante Fe 10/2 -10/6. Balloon Fiesta 10/5 in the afternoon leave early 10/6. Hope to take a balloon ride and see Georgia O'Keefe Museum. What are your top 5 things suggestions to do, see, eat and drink? Want a New Mexican experience and will drive to nearby cities.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

You will want to drive down from Santa Fe before dawn to see the mass launch on the 5th... There will be few if any craft in the air in the PM. Probably the same drill to enjoy a Fiesta site launch as well... As Albuquerque gets booked out , plan on basing in Santa Fe ... Suggestions need be based on your interests ... Those, I cannot know unless you, say ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

As carracar says, there is nothing do to at the Balloon Fiesta in the afternoons. Get up early and go to the mass ascension in the morning. Then visit Old Town Abq, Petroglyph Nat Mon and maybe take Sandia Tram. It will be very busy in Abq, so possibly back to Santa Fe for a visit in and around the Plaza. Georgia O'Keeffe Museum is not on my top list of museums, that would be NM History Museum, International Folk Art Museum and Indian Art and Culture. Check www.santafe.org for tons of ideas.

Dining options vary from cheap takeout to fine dining. For Northern NM food - Tomasitas, The Shed, Tia Sophia's, Chris's Café, Tecolote Café. For Green Chile Cheeseburgers - Berts Burger Bowl, Harry's Roadhouse, Del Charro, Horseman's Haven.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

As the Sandia Tram will be over run ... Plan on a scenic drive back to Santa Fe on Highway 14 ... One can get the same 200 mile view(as the tram ride) by a short diversion on the 536 to the "antenna farm" above Albuquerque ... Happy trails ... carracar

Laramie, Wyoming
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Well I would spend a day at least at the Museums on Museum Hill. . .also the food at that cafe is great. I would go the the Plaza Cafe (either on the Plaza or the South one for and meal.. Telecote for breakfast is a must, and the Pantry is great. Restaurant Marin is great for lunch or dinner. The Shed for lunch. Cafe Pasqual is always great, but you need reservations for any meal there. I also love the Cantina at La Casa Sena which has superb singing waiters. If you are there for a farmer's market on Saturday am they are always fun. Same goes for the flea market. Go the the sculpture foundry and watch them pour molten metal if you have time. I also would spend some time visiting Native American reservations. Personally, I always find them fascinating. I could spend weeks just exploring the shops around the plaza. If you love food, splurge on a walking tour from the Santa Fe School of Cooking, expensive but great.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Check ahead, but I believe the O'Keeffe Museum is partially closed until Oct 4 as the exhibit is changing. As Casa says, there are plenty of great alternatives.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Thank you everyone for your input.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

Tent Rocks, Bandelier for some outdoor experiences.

Drive the Enchanted Circle.

8. Re: Balloon Fiesta - Need ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:16