We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

Wanted to ask if Sundays are the only days local craft/artisan markets are held? I will be in Santa Fe, but not on a Sunday and would love to purchase art at a lower price than the galleries. In the past I've been fortunate to stumble into some great street markets/art on the street type of venues. I will be there the week before Thanksgiving. Also would love to have suggestions for the best places for green chile stew. As always all suggestions are appreciated! Thank you

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

I can't think of anything during the week, most are on weekends. You may want to check Jackalope out on Cerrillos, not really for the art, but for the experience...it is all imported stuff. Best place to get Native America pottery and jewelry is under the Portal at the Palace of the Governors. Also the Museum Shops have decent prices and authentic goods.

Green chile stew...hmmmm we usually make our own, so rarely order this out. I would think most of the Northern NM restaurants The Shed, Blue Corn, Tecolote, Tia Sophias, La Choza, Tomasitas should have this dish, check their websites.

Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

Thank you! I will check them out.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

I've had delicious traditional green chile stew at Tia Sophias, & Blue Corn Cafe.

Tomasita's makes some of the best vegetarian green chile.

The hatch chile crop this year is very, very flavorful & HOT! Yum!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

There are art markets both Saturday and Sunday at or next to the Farmer's Market building. Also art at the Flea in La Cienega, but not sure how many ventdors they have. Best place to find where other fairs may be is in the Pasatiempo, published with the New Mexican on Friday. Also this time of year there's lot of art studio tours, ie. this weekend is the Abiquiu tour and the Madrid tour.

One newer place people don't know about is the Hillside Market next to Harry's Roadhouse, a co op that sells local art along with the usual consignment. Also remember that most of the downtown galleries are not displaying local art and are in the business of selling high end art to people with money. For a more local art experience you might want to try the small towns of Madrid (all week), Truchas (some places all week) or Taos.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 15:22
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

We've had better luck in Madrid and Taos for local art in the few hundred dollar range.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

In the colder months local" tent markets" are thin on the ground. Property based venues may be the only option ... carracar

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
478 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

Green chile stew? The Shed.

8. Re: art markets/ street fairs/ green chile stew

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:17