We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip to New Mexico

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Trip to New Mexico

I've traveled with groups and with friends, but feel that, at the ripe old age of 65, a very "grown-up" thing to do would be to take a trip on my own. I want to go somewhere where I can reflect, enjoy nature, maybe a little hiking, take in culture and art, eat alone without feeling awkward, and am considering Santa Fe. I have about 4 days.Any recommendations as to how to plan without "overplanning", where to stay, etc. I am on a budget and would prefer not to spend more than $150 a night. My dates are mid-June.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 01:43
Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
480 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

Santa Fe is a very relaxed town and traveller friendly. You might think about a B&B or a casita near the Plaza. There are quite a few located within walking distance and would mean you wouldn't be eating all of your meals out. Mid-June is high season - so prices are a little higher across the board and places fill up fast. If you don't mind staying away from the Plaza: Sage Inn, Old Santa Fe Inn and El Rey are within your budget. Check them out on santafe.org.

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

You will love Santa Fe. It's walkable, easy to navigate on foot near the Plaza, down to the Guadelupe Art District, and up/down Canyon Road. If you rent a car for a few days, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to take a quick trip up to Georgia O'Keeffe's house/studio, to Ghost Ranch, or towards Taos. Coming from Chicago -- everything is going to feel wonderfully open and so traffic free. There are also great day trips, artist workshops for a day, hikes, etc. You might be surprised at what a good deal you can get mid June in a little casita with a kitchen, etc. near town -- a lot of places are not booked up this year.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

You are going to one of my all time favorite places - I love Santa Fe. And I travel solo quite often because I too am a grown up woman totally capable of deciding where to go and what to eat. (One group tour was enough for me.)

Here's a link to the official Santa Fe tourism website's special discounts - some for the Sage, which was mentioned above. santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/…index.html

Santa Fe has a wonderful aura about it - you will feel welcome and find so much to see and do. I'm almost envying you right now. :)

Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

I have spend a week by myself here for under $100/night, right off the plaza, with kitchen & bedroom, funky Santa Fe decor, but clean:

Easy walking distance to everything & there is the free pickup shuttle nearby for getting up Canyon Rd, etc:

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

Hey Janet, definitely take a side trip to Ojo Caliente and enjoy the hot springs! If you want to keep within your budget- spend the night in Taos at the Sun God Lodge, eat at Michael's and then put the rest of your money that day towards a spa treatment.. Its lovely to go in the evening, not as hot and explore the area!

Level Contributor
1,697 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

I would also suggest a trip to Bandelier National Monument http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

I have visited Santa Fe by myself (I'm 68) five times and find it a very comfortable and fascinating place. The town itself is very walkable… but once I stayed at a motel out of town and used bus service. I have been there with a rental car and without. I drove up to Taos once. Found the drive beautiful but a little scary. Museum Hill is easy to get to… with a car or without… as there is special bus service there as well. When I had a car, I loved to visit nearby pueblos… especially if there was a feast day or some special event. You'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure!!!

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

I, too, am a "grown up" woman in my 60's. I had lamented to a friend that I didn't relish traveling alone but I needed to get away. She recommended SF as it was a safe, vibrant, history and art-filled city. All the things I love. On top of all that...it is a walkable city...no need for a rental car which I did not want. I cannot tell you how right she was! As a result, after visiting three years ago, I am returning in September. Be forewarned that SF gets under your skin...you will want to return! I did so well as a solo traveling woman, never once feeling lonely nor out of place eating alone. I met nice people, too. First trip, I stayed at the Hotel St. Francis and loved it, tho the room was tiny. You'll want to find a place near the Plaza. For September's trip, I've booked Pueblo Bonito Inn of SF as I got a rate of $175.00 p/n and it includes breakfast and is situated a short walk from the Plaza. If you were going in late September, I'd suggest getting together for drinks or a meal! Have fun!

Level Contributor
220 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

I just came back from a week there as a solo. I posted a detailed trip report. I found it an easy town to do as a single, though i did not find the people as friendly and interactive as other places I have traveled.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Trip to New Mexico

Will you have a car? If so, you may want to spend a couple nights near the Plaza (more expensive) - very walkable area - and then a couple nights a little further out (cheaper) for the days you explore the surrounding area. Santa Fe is such a great place for a person traveling alone. There are lots of hiking / exploring places nearby Santa Fe. For exploring you might try nearby Indian ruin sites: Bandalier National Monument (drive to White Rock & catch a shuttle to the park) or Pecos National Monument (more isolated / fewer people). I live in Santa Fe so if you have more questions, I'd be glad to help.