We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

Due to price and availability, my boyfriend and I (both 25) have narrowed down our lodging options to Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe.

What would your recommendations be!! We are an outdoorsy couple who love good food and drink! Would like to be able to walk or easily access the shopping/dining areas!

Would you recommend one night at each?

We will also be spending two nights at the comfort suites (due to some free nights).

What would your recommendations for itinerary be?? We love hiking, and utdoors/adventure type things.

Also what would be your must do for one nice restaurant and one more modestly priced.

Any favorites for anything would be appreciated!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

I would choose St Francis as it is closest to the Plaza area. Easy to walk to most places in the downtown, so don't worry about changing hotels. It will be nice to be near the plaza since you will be staying away at Comfort Suites.

Plenty of good food. High end restaurants to try include Luminaria at Loretto, The Compound, La Casa Sena. Moderate The Shed, Pasquals, Tomasita's, Check www.santafe.org for tons of options.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

Thank you CasaAzul!

Do you have any specific hiking areas/trails you would recommend. Are there any outdoor/adventure outfitters/companies you recommend above others?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

Hiking in the foothills and mountains above Santa Fe in the national forest or Hyde Memorial State Park. Check this link for ideas. www.sdcmountainworks.com/hiking/trails.php Also Tent Rocks Nat Mon, Bandelier Nat Mon,

Depending on when you are visiting, there could be trail/forest closures due to fire season. It has been very dry!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

I've stayed at the St. Francis twice. The rooms are a bit small… but you can 't beat the location! (Well, I like La Fonda for location, too, of course.) I wouldn't bother switching hotels, especially for one night each. Have a great time!

Lynn in Rochester, NY

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

Actually, it's been a milder and wetter spring and early summer this year than we've had for quite a few years. There are no fire-hazard-related trail closures in effect in this area that I know of, which isn't to say they couldn't be imposed by the time of your trip. (When are you going to be here?) Make sure to check with Santa Fe National Forest for trail closures, at http://www.fs.usda.gov/santafe/ -- looks like it hasn't been updated for a while, but again, that may be because there are currently no closures to report. "Outfitters" for hikes in this area are rather overkill; we're not talking major expeditions here. This said, don't underestimate even the Atalaya trail, because everything above Santa Fe is high enough that the altitude can give you real problems. The antidote for that is not an outfitter, but rather, a day or two spent in town acclimatizing to the 7000-foot elevation before you head for the high country,

I second CasaAzul's comments about hotels and restaurants, although I am not high on La Casa Sena among the ones CA mentions. Another upper-end one worth a look is "315," which is its address along Old Santa Fe Trail, looks like a sidewalk cafe but with QUITE a menu and wine list; web site http://www.315santafe.com/ which will have what's currently playing. Tomasita's is pretty much the gold standard for classical "New Mexican" cuisine but there are many satisfactory alternatives, Another good one a short distance from the main tourist area, and therefore less likely to be overrun (although it will still be busy), is La Choza; run by the same people as operate The Shed (another great old standby but ferociously busy) and more of a "local"-oriented place. Also in the moderate class, if you wind up going to Bandelier or the western side of the Sangres for your hiking, consider dinner at Gabriel's, outside Santa Fe proper along US-285; one of the best New Mexican/Southwest restaurants around, at a mid-range price.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 20:32
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

I stayed at Hotel St. Francis and really enjoyed it. No amenities to speak of, but a delightful location and short walk to the Plaza and everything else. The room was extremely small, but the historic, monastery-like ambiance made it very unique. I was a single woman traveling alone, and I felt very safe here. Enjoy your trip...I love SF!

7. Re: Recommendations: Hotel St Francis vs. Hotel Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 07:16