We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Road to Taos

Atlanta
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
High Road to Taos

How winding/treacherous/scary/cliff hanging is the high road to Taos? It looks like the worst part is from Chimayo to Taos - is that right, or is the road from the highway to Chimayo full of switch backs as well?

Is it really worth the trip just to drive through some small towns if I don't like those kind of roads? And can't you see some beautiful scenery looking up at the mountains and perhaps down to the river if you just take the low road/68?

Thanks for a reply.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Road to Taos

I don't know how many times I have driven the high road to Taos, but it is an easy road to drive. It's not narrow or "cliff hanging" at any point along the road. The roads you travel are state highways, and New Mexico takes very good care of them. If you take the low road, it is a pretty drive, but what you will see are the cliffs on both sides of the river, not any mountains until you come up out of the canyon.

Just take your time and enjoy the beautiful scenery; stop and see Truchas, a town that sits right on top of a hill, take in the small communities scattered along the road. You will enjoy your drive.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Road to Taos

Easy road and nothing like the cliff hangers I've driven in Colorado. If you have the time this route has lots of trees with charming towns along the way. The low road is a highway in wide open space until you get to Taos and wind around the river and mountain. Low road is faster than high road. Neither are white-knuckle roads.

Ditto the suggestion to stop at Truchas which is a magical place.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Road to Taos

For photographers, the High Road is something of a "must-see" destination. I recommend you go to Flickr and search for "Chimayo," "Truchas," "Las Trampas," "Picuris" and "Penasco." You'll get a good idea of what there is to see. You can decide if it's worth your time.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Road to Taos

Thanks to all of you for these replies - lots of good info.

5. Re: High Road to Taos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16