We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy are restaurants right now?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
737 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How busy are restaurants right now?

I have recently learned about the Opera season in Santa Fe. Sounds like a lot of fun! My husband and I are planning to be in Santa Fe this weekend because other plans fell through and we're dying to get out of Dallas. We have a place to stay, (haven't booked it yet but it has room), but I wanted to know how busy restaurants are during this Opera time. Are crowds avoidable if you're flexible with your time? For example, if we decided to eat lunch at 2 or have dinner at 5 or 9, would we get around super crowded places? (I just hate going out and not being able to talk to the person across from me!)

Thanks y'all!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,560 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy are restaurants right now?

There are plenty of places to eat, but this weekend will be a bit busy as the International Folk Art Market is this weekend. We were just at Tomasita's yesterday for a 1pm lunch, waited until 1:20 but by then it was thinning out. If you eat early or late that helps, but probably getting a reservation would be good. We've had wonderful meals at full restaurants, just depends on where you go. Luminaria at Inn at Loretto and Fuego at La Posada Hotel both are very nice and you can talk. If you go to one of the more "bar" type places like Del Charro, Blue Corn Cafe then it will be loud.

From now until mid September weekends will be busy, but still great to visit here. Afternoon clouds and thunderstorms (short usually) have been here every afternoon and really cools down the area. Today is about 85 degrees in town mid afternoon.

If you need other ideas for dining let me know.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
737 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy are restaurants right now?

Oh wow. Thank you very much. I just finished booking a casita at the Santa Fe Motel and Inn. It got some great reviews on here. It's been about 8 years since I was in Santa Fe so my sense of direction has expired. A lot of the reviews say how convenient the location is for walking. Would you agree? We'll have a rented car but I was just curious what you might say. I'm happy to know about the weather. I love storms, whether they're short lived or go on forever.

I had no idea about the Folk Art Market. Is that something you would recommend? In Crested Butte, there is an art festival there every summer and it's pretty cool because it's juried so you actually get to see some quality art and not a lot of hokey stuff geared at tourists. Thanks again for your help so far! I can't tell yo how much I appreciate it! My husband has compiled a list of restaurants so when I see him later I might have a restaurant question or two for you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,560 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy are restaurants right now?

That motel is good location for both the Railyard area and Plaza area. Most likely you won't have to drive. At the Railyard there will be a Saturday Farmers Market. The Folk Art Market has gotten huge, we don't go to summer stuff, but might we worth a visit on Sunday morning, less hot and fewer people. It is juried I think and has wonderful work. You can spend days shopping the many stores and galleries in Santa Fe and on Canyon Road.

Dining near the Railyard...for beer Second Street and The Junction. BBQ at Cowgirl and Whole Hog,

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
737 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy are restaurants right now?

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help. I usually put a lot more planning into trips but this kind of fell into our laps!

Thanks again!

5. Re: How busy are restaurants right now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15