We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Shenendoah/Skyline Drive with husband and toddler

Which Luray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Shenendoah/Skyline Drive with husband and toddler

We are planning a trip Shenendoah area for the first week in November..we enjoy outdoor activites, museums, unique shops, markets and fresh foods...any suggestions for "must dos" or a family friendly place to stay??

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Shenendoah/Skyline Drive with husband and toddler

The Shenandoah area is a fairly large area with many different activities. There is Shenandoah National Park that starts at Front Royal, Virginia; Skyline Drive is a nice drive with a number of scenic pull-offs and runs south changing in to the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs down toward Smokey Mountains National Park. There are several lodges in Shenandoah; Big Meadows Lodge and Skyland Lodge (where we are taking our two granddaughters 8 and 6 for a night in early November) where you might be able to find a room. Both lodges have restaurants, play areas, hikes, etc. There may still be ranger talks at both locations on a variety of topics. Front Royal has a number of places to stay and is near I-66 (and not too far from I-81). Luray, Virginia (just west of one of the entrances to Shenandoah) has lodging and also Luray Caverns (an interesting tour if you are in to caverns or have not been in one). There are a number of battlefields of the War Between the States in and around the Shenandoah Valley if you have an interest in history (the Battle of New Market is one of the better known as cadets from VMI fought in that battle and there is a Visitor Center). There are also a number of wineries in the Valley (but with a toddler, that may not be on your list). Strasburg (near I-66 and I-81) has a nice antique mall. If you like to stay at B&Bs or country inns, there are a number of them in and around the Valley. Can't help with places to stay as we usually stay up in Shenandoah NP at either Big Meadows or Skyland (with an ocassional stay at an inn); same with good places to eat. There will be a number of others that will see this and can give you more and probably better information on museums, unique shops and good food.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Shenendoah/Skyline Drive with husband and toddler

OK, we have 3 small children (ages 1, 2, and 4) and we stay at Bridgewater Inn & Cottage. This B&B is located near 3 parks that you can walk to. It is great if traveling with kids! Plus the B&B has a fenced in 1 acre lot-great for kids getting some energy out. I highly recommend this B&B. It is located near ton's of "to do" things: Sky line drive, caverns, massanutten ski resort, etc..

Here is the site:

http://www.bridgewaterinnandcottage.com/

3. Re: Visiting Shenendoah/Skyline Drive with husband and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 23:17