We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

we just drove out of Shenandoah on rt.211 and I remember seeing what looked like a good place to stay right on that road. There may have been a little bar and grill and a few rooms, but the place had an awesome view looking out over the valley towards Shenandoah. I believe it was after Luray heading up the road towards New Market. Actually there looked like 2 places right in the same area if I remember correctly. Can anyone help me identify these places? Thanks, Isla

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

Your were driving out of Shenandoah, the town, or Lurya? At any rate on 211, this could be one of them. It's on 211.

http://www.crossroadsinnva.com/Index.htm

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

I am having a bad spelling day!

Anyhow, I was trying to envision which stretch of 211. Was it Lee Hwy 211 or Main Steet/211? You might also take a look at the Luray Caverns Motel's view:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60964-d120567-…

The Cardinal Inn also has a nice view.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60964-d199055-…

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

Ok. Last of the brainstorming and I think this might be more what you're talking about, right off the

http://www.shadowmountainescape.com/

also on TA at hotels in Luray with some great pictures.

And this on, Brookside: http://www.brooksidecabins.com/

And the Brookside Restaurant may be one of the places you're remembering. Also on TA same place.

So you'll have reviews for both on TA.

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

I don't think it was any of these but I could be mistaken. Yes, we were driving out of the park and on our way back to the interstate at new market. We were definately past Luray and headed uphill out of the Valley. I wish I had written down the name of the place I saw. It was right before a bend in the road and the view from there had to be awesome. I might have to drive back there to find it! Thanks for all of the help! isla

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

Oh, ok. So you were leaving the Nat'l Park but also past Luray. These I mentioned are just outside the Park and in Luray. Ok, further on then.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

I know the feeling. So did you make it to New Market? I'm wondering if you actually were on 211 all the way to New Market or 81. Another suggetion might be a historic former stagecoach stop, Shenandoah River Inn.

Maybe also post on New Market.

Also you might call the Visitor Info Center or Chamber of Commerce in these two areas to see if an experienced local knows the place you're talking about.

Now you've got me very curious.

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

Explorer you are so nice for responding! Now I'm thinking that maybe what I thought was the town of New market was actually Luray. That would put the "awesome view inn" before the town of Luray! I will go onto their chamber of commerce tomorrow. Wait until I tell you how we ended up on 211 to start with. talk to you tomorrow, Isla

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

I thought something like that might have happened. Not only because of geography but also because I've done it myself...been so sure I was on one road when I was on another:) Let me know the place.

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

I still don't know where the inn was. But how we got there in the 1st place is that we were driving a huge commercial rollback wrecker from the Hamptons in NY to St. Louis MO. When we picked up the truck the owner was telling all his stories about picking up "Billy Joel's" wrecked cars etc. and he said the beach was only a few blocks away. "The most beautiful stretch of white sand in the world" he said. Well my hubby wouldn't go check out the beach because it was getting late and NYC traffic can be bad, so we missed the beach at the Hamptons. So when we were driving in VA, I saw Shenandoah National Park right off of Hwy 81! How could we not drive that gorgeous Skyline Drive? So we did, but after about 35 miles of using airbrakes and downshifting etc. I told him that Hwy 211 would get us back to the main hwy 81. But that is why I didn't stop and check out the place I'm trying to find. We were in that truck. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it! Take care, Isla

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little Inn on Rt. 211 with the great view!

Ok. And don't worry, while the Hamptons are beautiful there are other stretches of wonderful sand and nature. Just make sure next time you go near a coast that you go to the beach first, if only for a few minutes.