We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's best for a day in Sitka?

Which Sitka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
what's best for a day in Sitka?

hello friends:

am on a honeymoon cruise with my wife and we are outdoor nature lovers (hiking, biking, etc.) and we also love to see history and explore new and old places.

It's our first time to Sitka, and rather than pay the Cruiseline prices for excursions, was hoping you could give us a few suggestions that we can plan our own little adventure.

We arrive at about 9AM and need to depart out about 6pm.

bike rentals places, sightseeing tours, shows, trails? any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

We did a bike/hike through our cruise lines, which we thoroughly enjoyed!!! If I'm correct, it was one of the lesser priced activities, as well.

I forget the name of the park/beach we biked out to, was beautiful, the hike was very, very green!!! Crossed a small bridge where we stopped to watch the salmon running, incredible.

Have planned our own activities in other locations, but chose to go w/the cruise line on this one.

Had time to wander back in town after the bike/hike.

Enjoy!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

My first time in Sitka will be in November. But here is what I have in my file for Sitka:

http://www.nps.gov/sitk/ - Sitka National Historic Park

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

There are excellent boat tours from Sitka that are independent. www.sitkasoundtours.com is one I have heard recommended in the past.

Don't worry about booking with independent vendors - tell them you are on the cruise ship and they will know when to get you back to the ship.

John

Level Contributor
595 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

Take a walk in the Totem Park and tour the Bishop's House.

Go to the Wintersong Soap Company for handmade soaps from Alaska.

Take a walk through the Russian Cemetery. Very interesting.

Walk to the Raptor Center if you are interested in seeing the wildlife there. There are also presentations there I believe.

I did a whale watching trip while I was there.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

Was in Sitka 2 years ago and remember it as one of my favorite days in the Inside Passage. Walked from the dock to the Totem Trail park and walked the entire trail. The totems were inspiring and the walk so peaceful. Not crowded at all as many visitors do not get past the front entrance. You can then take a back trail out of the park which leads to the Raptor Center. This trail goes along a stream which was full of spawning salmon. The Raptor Center was very nice with a terrific talk using a live eagle and many other birds to be viewed. There was a back trail that you could take out of the Raptor center as well which went by a steam and then over a wetland area. I then walked back to town and visited some of the local galleries. If I can find the source for the map I used I will post later. I am also an outdoors/nature person and this was perfect! My husband sent the day fishing and did not have near as much fun as I did.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

You could go fishing. We did and shipped my fish back to Ohio via a local processor there. You can also buy additional fish so that you have a full shipment since it's a bit pricey to dry ice and ship. But so worth it. We don't get salmon or halibut like this in Cincinnati!

Go to http://experience.fishsitkarose.com/ The captian is Rey and he is retired from the coast guard.

6. Re: what's best for a day in Sitka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:18