We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffins

RUSSELL
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Puffins

Will be off ship H.A. in Sitka on Thursday, May 3, 2012-- I would really like to see puffins and am wondering if they will be there that early in the season and what would be the best way of finding them.

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffins

My fishing buddies tell me that you aren't likely to see Puffins near town. They are seen deep into the coastal islands and fishing grounds away from human habitation. You can see eagles, ravens, herons, mergansers, seagulls and song birds in Sitka proper.

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
RUSSELL
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffins

Thanks. I was wondering if a Saint Lazaria tour with Esther G's might see them but not sure if they are a year round bird??

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puffins

A Saint Lazaria tour would be an excellent way to see puffins. There are plenty of puffins in the Sitka region in the summer, just not visible from town generally. Getting out on a small boat is an excellent excursion and great for birders.

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffins

Jim with Sitka Sound also does the St. Lazaria tour and doesn't have the weight limit that the Esther G imposes.

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffins

One more vote for Jim of Sitka Sound Tours. He is an excellent guide and will accommodate your requests and interests. If you're interested in geology let him know. Send him e-mail and ask about puffins this early in May. jseeland@gci.net

Sitka is a fascinating town. Too bad you have only one day there but is better than not going at all. Enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
RUSSELL
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puffins

I have often looked at Trip Advisor before I travel but never used it for my own questions. I am now hooked on it as everyone tries to help out. Thanks all.Still have not found out if they are migratory birds or if they would be around in early May. I will e mail Jim.

Sitka, Alaska
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puffins

Rene

Generally puffins have congregated at Saint Lazaria by that date, although every year is a little different.

If you would like you can email me at alaskadavey@gmail.com I can offer u more info on the subject

Cheers,

Davey

RUSSELL
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puffins

Thanks Davey. I did e mail Jim but did not get a reply. Still working on the trip and stop at Sitka so may come up with some more questions for you. I have found anyone I contacted re attractions so helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puffins

Often the operators take long breaks in the winter so it is possible that he is out of town. I would try to call and see if there is any sort of message on his voicemail/answering machine. Or perhaps Email again. Sometimes EMails do go astray.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puffins

I emailed Jim about 2 weeks ago regarding St. Lazaria Island and he emailed back quickly. We are going a week after you. Here is his reply regarding puffins during this time...

"Also, there will be few, if any, Tufted Puffins out there at that time of year - might be some early arrivals but I'm not sure. They are one of the big draws to the Island. They show up in numbers late May and early June and stay out there until early September when they all take off."

Jim, has been a pleasure to work with, and look forward to our tour with him! Hope you have a great time in Sitka!

Mentioned in this post
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska