We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

New York
10 posts
Save Topic
From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

We are arriving at Sitka on the State Ferry at 1 am. How can we get downtown or to a lodging? Are there places that provide shuttle service? I gather the Ferry Terminal is about 6 miles outside the city.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

Sitka hotels do not generally provide shuttle service to the ferry because it is relatively far outside of downtown...I want to say 10-15 miles. When you arrive there will be cabs, guaranteed as they are used to the 24 hour travel in Alaska, and likely a bus of some sort offering a flat rate to downtown that typically lets passengers off in front of Centennial Hall which is walking distance to most hotels. Where are you staying? If you don't have a place I can highly recommend the Totem Square Inn downtown. They do have an airport shuttle so you might inquire about the ferry as they have a new manager and things often change but last time I was in town it was the big blue bus for me. I think I paid $8 to town.

New York
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

Thanks. We weren't sure if there would be taxis. We don't have place to stay yet. Totem Square Inn seems to be about $170. Are there any less expensive places you would recommend. The Sitka Hotel is about $105, I think, but saw some posts saying it was noisy. Any recommendations, anyone?

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

I think I stayed at the Super 8. It was clean, but nothing fancy. You can walk into town from there. It was fine for me.

New York
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

I would avoid the Sitka Hotel. The rooms are not very comfortable (minimal furniture, no closets, poor lighting) and it can be very noisy...tends to attract a party crowd because of the low prices. Super 8 is a very well managed property and I like it a lot, but be aware it is surrounded by neighborhood streets on all sides with absolutely no views...parking lot and streetscapes....and a half mile walk from shops, restaurants, waterfront, etc. Sitka is one of the most spectacular destinations on earth and staying on the water gives you the magic of watching the harbor and the mountains in all their variety during your stay. It's not something I would miss...priceless. Waking up to the harbor views are some of my best Alaskan memories and I've been to Sitka a dozen times. It is truly breathtaking. Another option if you plan to rent a car are some good Bed and Breakfasts in Sitka. I like Otter's Cove on the water but there are many others and here's a link to lodging options http://www.sitka.com/. And don't miss Fortress of the Bear...the only bear rescue center in SE Alaska. It is a marvelous place to learn about bears and observe them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

I believe sitka eagle inn has shuttle and free breakfast

New York
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

Thank you for this information. We learned that there is a ferry bus that runs at all hours, that is at all hours when ferries arrive. So for any others, here's what we were told. One can buy a one-way ticket for about $6 or a round-trip ticket for $12. We made a reservation at Super 8, and they provided this information. It doesn't seem as charming as some of the others, but the price was okay and it seems like a good location with good amenities after many hours on the ferry.

A reminder to all as well: if you have AAA or AARP memberships, you should be sure to mention that. Many hotels offer slight discounts.

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

Super 8 was fine when I stayed. It was clean, it had a fridge in the room and I walked easily to town from there. I also used the bus to and from the ferry. Enjoy your trip to Alaska.

9. Re: From Ferry to Town/Hotel at 1 am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:15