We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Months in Sitka

Renton, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
3 Months in Sitka

I will be staying in Sitka from the beginning of May through July for work. I am looking for some info on places to stay (prefer furnished room of apt), place that rents pickup trucks, and if there is any current gold prospecting on creeks in the area. I know there was once a hard rock mine in the area but cant find anything on just taking a pan out to a stream looking for placer deposits. Thanks for any info!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Months in Sitka

For housing and other info you might want to join the city-data forum and post your questions.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/

and check the Sitka newspaper, Chamber of Commerce web site.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Months in Sitka

Hubby whose family mined here for generations says you are wasting your time looking for gold in Sitka. For lodging try the library and grocery store bulletin boards. There is a great hostel in Sitka for however long they will let you stay. As far as I know the only car rentals are at the airport and I don't think they have many trucks and cost $50-$60 a day. You would be better off buying a beater car or truck and selling it when you leave.

3. Re: 3 Months in Sitka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 07:16