We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Our time in Sitka is limited. We plan to go from the dock to the Bear Fortress by shuttle and then want transportation to the Raptor Center. Is there a shuttle there or do we call a taxi? We do not want to be on a tour group's schedule . We also would like to spend time visiting the sights in the downtown area.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Fortress of the Bear offers a shuttle from Downtown for $3. Once you are back downtown, you can walk to the Raptor Center if you want....it's not a bad walk through the Totem Park, turning right on Sawmill Creek Road when you emerge from the woodsy trail and then left on Raptor Way or you can call a cab. Cabs tend to be family owned in Sitka. I like Hank's Cabs (907) 747-8888 and Nina's Taxi (907) 738-1931. Also Sitka Tribal Enterprises has a bus M-F that stops all over town with three routes http://publictransit.sitkatribe.org/. You would want the Blue Line. Have fun! I love going to Sitka and seeing the bears. It's one of my favorite places in Alaska.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Thanks for your advice. We probably will take a cab to the Raptor Center after we return to downtown and then take our time walking back to see more sights . I have also been reading that the Johnson Museum should not be missed and hope to see the Russian Cemetary too. I will put the cab company numbers into my cell phone. There's lots to see and do in Sitka and we don't want to miss anything!

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

You can cab to Raptor Center and walk back through Totem Park to stop at the Sheldon Jackson Museum....they are adjacent to each other. It would take just as long to walk to the museum from downtown. Everything is close, but no sense doubling back from downtown. You can also cab to the museum directly (though it is around downtown as the car drives since there are no roads through the park) and then walk along the water 4-5 blocks back to downtown, easily hitting the cemetery ....up behind the landmark Westmark Hotel...on the way. Russian Hill is just another block away towards the water. Sitka is compact, but there is LOTS to see and do.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Thanks for the detailed information. I really helps! Is there anything else along our route that we should not miss? It's nice to know we have a clear understanding of what (and where it is) we can look forward to in Sitka!

Columbia Station...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

I'm going in a couple weeks on cruise. If I take cab to Raptor Center about how long of walk is it back to docks going thru the Totem trail?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

It would be about a 30 minute walk. I've done it many times early in the morning but I am always yacking with the friend I go up to visit so I am not watching the clock. I would guess about two mile walk total. The cab has to drive a different way than the foot walks because it cannot cut across the park like people can.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

When you get off the launch in Sitka,there is a shuttle that took us to the Fortress of the Bear, which we loved and highly recommend ! It returns to take you to the Raptor Center, which was interesting, but I guess we were just captivated by the bears,the people working there and lthe Greenland sled dogs that were a bonus on site. From the Raptor Center we walked through the beautiful woods of Totem Trail area great,saw salmon in the river, listened to the ranger, but really wished we had more time to explore this area since there is a visitors center here. If you didn't stop to look at things,it would take about 30-40 minutes walking at a good pace..from the Raptor Center to the Ship.. We saw pedal bike taxis but they are not speedy. There was road construction to the Fortress of the Bear,so it's not a quick bus ride .. We loved Sitka and could have spent much more time at these 3 attractions..missed the churches ,Russian Cemetary ,etc.. Should have taken more pictures on the Totem Trail.... We loved our cruise to Alaska, but felt the time allowed on shore was much too short....so many interesting things to do and see. The Raptor Center was impressive, in what the foundation offers and accomplishes, but we could have skipped it and spent more time on the Totem Trail instead.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

This is such wonderful information - thank you! I have plans to visit Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center, but was wondering how we were going to get out of town to the Fortress of the Bear! I'm so glad to hear there is a shuttle bus near the launch area, and that it will drop you off at the Raptor Center after. Thanks kindly!

Columbia Station...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

Thanks for info! Really helps with planning

10. Re: From Bear Fortress to the Raptor Center...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 16:16