We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Springfield

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Springfield

My family is interested in the annual Christmas Light display in Springfield. We like to travel at Christmas. If the wheather is good, we would drive over from Syracuse, NY vsiting other places on the way. Is the light display worth the trip? Thanks!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Springfield

I have not been there, but I know many that have. I have heard very good reviews! The only complaint is that on Fridays and weekends, there is a very long line to enter. The web site is www.BrightNights.org. I noticed you are from the Syracuse area, so I'll also mention... Albany, NY also started a Christmas in the park a few years back (sorry, haven't been there either! I got to get out more!) Theirs is called Capital Holiday, Lights in the Park. It takes place in Washington Park. I don't know if there is an official web site.

If you have any Basketball fans, the Basketball hall of fame is in Springfield. MA also, so that might be a good thing to do earlier in the day. Not too far up I-91 is Yankee Candle's home store (the mother of all candle stores!). It is in Deerfield MA, not too far off I-91. I hear it's quite impressive!

You sure plan ahead! Are you finished with your Christmas shopping?! ;-)

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Springfield

The Christmas light display in Forest Park is spectacular, but so is the one in Providence's Roger Williams Park. If Springfield's as far as you're willing to travel, the two other area attractions mentioned above are good suggestions. Let me add to that the *Volleyball* Hall of Fame in Holyoke. Be sure to try and get to the Dinosaur Footprints in Granby too!

At one time there was an outstanding Chinese restaurant on Sumner Ave in the Forest Park neighborhood called Sze's, but I'm not sure they're still in business. Ditto for the Fort/Student Prince downtown which was known for its German food. The Yankee Pedlar Inn in Holyoke serves decent meals. But for the widest range of lunch and dinner choices, travel up the road "a piece" to Northampton and Amherst. Although relatively small in population, both towns have a variety of places to eat thanks to their being college communities: Miss Flo's Diner; the renowned "creative American cuisine" restaurant Judie's; "the birthplace of potato skins" FitzWillie's; Indian and Thai restaurants; upscale Italian at Spoleto; the list goes on.

Lodging runs the gamut of...chain hotels and motels. For something a little "different," investigate UMass Amherst's Campus Center Hotel. It's a tower of guest rooms above one of the student activities buildings, operated by the university's College of Hotel, Restaurant, and Travel Administration.

Also! While in Springfield visit Mulberry St. You, too, can say "And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street." It's the honest-to-goodness home of Theodore Geisel: Dr Seuss!

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Springfield

Thanks for the replies and info about Springfield's Holiday Light display. I did not know there was one in Albany , NY. I will have to look into that. No, my Christmas shopping is not done, but I have started! My family can only travel during the winter months and we like to look for different things to do for the Holidays. We have spent Christmas in Las Vegas, Disneyworld, San Deigo and others, but one of our favorites was Christmas in Hershey and the Amish area of PA. We don't care to shop really, but we do enjoy museums and the holiday going-ons around the places we visit. My hometown, Syracuse does have a drive thru light display, it has not been that impressive, but supposedly it is being fixed up better for this year. I saw Springfields website for their display and it looked good.

East Longmeadow Ma
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Springfield

Hi.

I live right near Springfield and while the Christmas Display is nice it probably is not worth coming a long way to see only that. I have to agree with one of the other posters about Yankee Candle in Deerfield Mass. That place is pretty great to go to during the day. The kids can dip their own candles, they have a great store with lots of candles, decorations and ornaments and they have a very pretty area that has a mini train going around the top of the room, snow falling and Santa is even there during the season. If you combined the Yankee Candle and the Bright Nights you would have a great time. The Deerfield trip is about 45 minutes from Bright Nights though. Depending on when you come the Springfield Orchestra performs a Holiday Pops which is a lot of fun where they perform all holiday songs.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Springfield

The Bright Nights exhibit was nice (we went a few years ago)-- traffic for it can be insane, though.

I have to second Spensworld on the restaurant recommendations! I think Sze's may be closed, however. :( It's definitely worth the trip to Northampton or Amherst to find good restaurants. India House in Northampton is very good... the Miss Flo diner is terrific (and inexpensive)... and there is an Italian restaurant on Pearl St. opposite the Tunnel Bar that's very good, too. (I'm sorry, I've completely forgotten the name!) And you MUST go to Herrell's in Northampton for ice cream. I am getting nostalgic just thinking about it. Not to mention hungry. :)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Springfield

If you are willing to come all the way down to Springfield I suggest traveling to Hartford there is the Holiday Light Fantasia in Bushnell Park which you can drive through and there is also a huge display of Christmas lights and trees on Constitution Plaza in downtwon Hartford. Hartford is only about 20 minutes from Downtown Springfield, travel right down I-91 South