We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Topic
NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

I am desperately trying to find out the name of a campground that I went to as a kid with my family, in Springfield, MA. When we went it was around 1974-1979 (give or take). I don't have a lot of info, but what I do know is:

It no longer exsists, I believe there are condo's there now

It was run by a guy named Hank (we always called it Hanks place, which is why no one in my family can remember the real name).

It had a man made pond, not a very big one.

I think the name might have the word Sunny in it, but could be wrong about that. (Sunny Brook or Sunny Acres keep coming to mind).

Thanks for your time and any little bit of info you can give me is appreciated.

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

A number of years ago, I stayed at a campground called Sunledge Campground in Granville, MA. We went to the Big E and I remember it being a fairly short drive. I have no idea if it is still open. I tried doing a Google search and found it mentioned, but could not find a web site for it.

Westernmass

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

A number of years ago, I stayed at a campground called Sunledge Campground in Granville, MA. We went to the Big E and I remember it being a fairly short drive. I have no idea if it is still open. I tried doing a Google search and found it mentioned, but could not find a web site for it.

Westernmass

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

WesternMass,

Thanks for your input. That doesn't sound familiar, and I am pretty sure when I hear the name I will know it.

But thanks for trying anyway! :o)

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

Any chance you were in Wilbraham? I grew up there and spent a short stink as a counselor. I think it was Stoney Brook Acres but I can double check with my parents and brother who still live in town. Red barn like building, trampolines, River out back, swiming pool, soccor field, Archery and BB gun shooting?

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

It could be Wilbraham, but that doesn't sound like the place. This place was a family campground, there were no counselors, no pool, no trampoline. Just trailers and campers. The only building I remember was the office where you'd check in and it had a game room there too.

But thanks.

And if you wouldn't mind still asking your parents and brother, that would be great to see if they remember anything like this. Thanks again

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

Nope definately not the place in Wilbraham. I am just trying to think where in Springfield there would be a good location for a camp ground. I love a good mystery. Hmmmm.....

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

Well as I said, I am pretty sure there are condo's there now. Does that help?

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

How about Sunsetview in Monson? Operated by Harold?

http://www.sunsetview.com/about.cfm

Your hosts, the Carpenter family, invite you to visit Sunsetview Farm Camping Area in historic Monson, Massachusetts. Generations of the Carpenter family have lived and worked on this land. It originally operated as a dairy farm and orchard. The original farm house, built in 1799, contains our store and office.

The campground was started in 1970 by Harold and Lillian Carpenter. It has been owned and operated by the family since the beginning. Our staff now Includes two generations of the Carpenter family.

We have a great deal of family pride in our campground and have always preserved the traditional standards of attention to detail and insistence on the highest quality of service.

Please come and enjoy our family's tradition of generous hospitality.

Harold, Lillian, Robin, Carol, Lisa,

Our Staff, and our families

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

Wow, if that isn't it, then what a lot of coincidences, even looking at the map of the lay out, it looks the same as I remember.

I'm still not sure this is it, I am checking with my brother, he is the one who told me that there were condos on the site now.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NEED HELP - info about a campground from the 70's

It's the teeny man made lake that has me convinced, of coarse if it is now condos than I will have to resort to my family as well. I lived in that area 1973 to 1992. Any ideas of places you passed when pulling in? Did you ever leave the premises to go get soft serve or anything like that?