We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in the Scranton area

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Living in the Scranton area

We visited Scranton yesterday since I may have an opportunity for a job there. I know the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre area has some movie, theater, and sports venues which I like. We also visited the Steamtown Mall which was very nice.

I noticed the people are friendly and the area seems relatively safe. I also noticed the area seemed rather depressed with little going on and most of the stores were closed on a Saturday.

I have a few questions.

1 - Are there more active areas in Scranton such as areas with restaurants, nightlife, stores and people?

2 - What are the best sections to live in Scranton or suburbs?

3 - What do you like and dislike about living there?

Thanks

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in the Scranton area

I know this is is a month old post but I just ran into it. I don't live in or near Scranton but my wife's family is from there and I've visited many times, and I do agree with your characterization o the place, ie, that while people are friendly and the area is safe, it really does feel like a depressed area with little going on. My informal impression is that the best thing about it is that housing costs are low.

2. Re: Living in the Scranton area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Scranton