We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Tucson

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Tucson

Hi , I am looking for some help in planning a trip from Las Vegas to Tucson. We ( two couples mid-thirtys) will be spending a few days in Las Vegas because we do love it, and we need to finish our trip in Tucson where my mother in law will have been staying with freind , before we all head home to the UK.

We have around seven days to do this trip & we had allocated our time as follows:

2 nights Las Vegas, 3 nights Flagstaff and 2 nights Tucson.

We have been to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas before - so do not have a desire to repeat when there is so much else to see.

In my mind the big "must do" is Monument Valley & I was searching to see if a tour company would pick us up from Flagstaff so my husband does not need to drive every day. This is looking virtually impossible - so would we be better spending a night close to Monument Valley before we went to Flagstaff?

Any advise would be greatfully received, we also intend to do the pink arrow tour for Sedona and see the outdoorsy things around flagstaff. I know Monument Valley is a bit out of the way - but it is so iconic I feel we would be silly to be so close then miss it.

Any thoughts from locals greatly received.....

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Tucson

You should certainly see Monument Valley if you never have. There are hotels in that area: Chinle, Kayenta, Tuba City, Winslow, Page and Holbrook all have options. Monument Valley is also close to the Navajo National Monument, also worth the short side-trip.

On the way back, try to see Canyon de Chelly near Chinle. Sort of like a mini Grand Canyon.

But, coming to Tucson, you can head south through Eastern Arizona and our White Mountains, which not a whole lot of tourists get to see. There's some great natural beauty and some interesting history. Going south toward Tucson, either take US 60 to Highway 77 through Show Low and the Salt River Canyon or US 191 in far eastern Arizona, although the latter involves about 50 miles of tight curves but some beautiful, desolate country.

What to do in and around Flagstaff and Tucson depends upon when you're going.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Tucson

Yes, this will be a long drive, visiting MV and then the drive through Canyon the Chelly and to Tucson.

You already have visited GCSR from Las Vegas so why not make it the other way through Page?

Start from Las Vegas very early and drive to Zion NP. Take as much as you can from this awesome place and drive from Zion to Page.

Night in Page and visit to Antelope Slot Canyon first thing next day, then the drive to Monument Valley for a visit and stay for the night.

Next day to Chinle for Canyon de Chelly.

So maybe:

Day 1: Las Vegas

Day 2: LV-Zion-Page

Day 3: Page-MV

Day 4: MV-Canyon de Chelly

Day 5: CdC-Hubbell Trading Post-Painted Desert-Petrified Forest-

Show Low

Day 6: Show Low-Tucson

Day 7: Tucson.

Or:

Day 1: Las Vegas

Day 2: Las Vegas-Zion-Page

Day 3: Page-MV

Day 4: MV-Sedona

Day 5: Sedona

Day 6:Sedona-Tucson

Day 7: Tucson.

Whatever you do, you won't be disappointed.

Tet

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Tucson

Thanks for both your replys. I've a bit more information for you to consider given the itinerary.

We are looking at coming towards the end of September / beginning of October, we havn't booked anything yet & wondered what kind of impact Memorial day weekend has in this neck of the woods - will we see a huge increase in traffic / prices / people?

We have travelled in the US before & always notice that tourist tours etc always seem to diminish after this weekend - but is that the case in the SW?

Next question is for colinaz - if we take the more scenic route from Sedona to Tucson, can you give us approximate driving times? When I Mapquest the route I can only get the more direct route on the I17 & I10.

For both, am I right in thinking if we come from MV via Chinle to Sedona we will get to drive a bit of the Route 66? It's not a must do for me, but definately a nice to have!

For both, do you think with all these NP's we would get scenery'd out? Zion look amazing & so of course MV, but the rest?

Tet14 - I like the look of your option two, can you just confirm my thoughts about time spent in car vs being out there?

Day 1 - 2 hours LV to Zion? 7am start would mean Zion 9am - spend most of the day, leave around 3pm to get to Page around 5pm?

Day 2 - Early start from page would get us to either Gouldings or Kayenta in time for afternoon tour & sunset at MV?

Day 3 - not sure of the dive / out ration here - a lot of dependancies I suppose, including staying Kayenta or Gouldings.

If we are staying at MV we will stay i Sedona, I'd put Flagstaff as I thought being that bit nearer we could pick up a tour from there to for to MV.

Lastley colinaz - we do want to spend time around Tucson, I was going to post on the other forum for that. I've found that breaking my questions into more localised ones gets more results - would you believe this trip also includes South East coast / Texas & moving over to west, flights and car 3.5 weeks in total. We are doing the rounds of all freinds & relatives and dropping mother in law at variou places - but she is too nervous of doing the whole transatlantic on her own so we need to pick her up again in Tucson.

Thanks for your help so far....

Liz

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to Tucson

Hi Liz

Memorial Day USA is last monday in May, not in september/october. Labor Day is first monday in september.

Driving the routes me and Colin have provided you won't see much R66. There are old parts in Flagstaff and Williams and between Seligman and Kingman but they are not on your route. For a nice experience, maybe try to stay for the night in the WigWam Hotel on Hopi Drive (old R66) in Holbrook.

Canyon de Chelly is a gem that should not be missed. The overlooks on Painted desert are great but tthere's more scenery on your route. Petrified Forest NP is not a forest but large petrified logs lying on the floor. It's all a matter of personal preference but I think it's interesting to drop by for the fans.

Both Colins and my routes will take considerably time. Maybe mapquest them for details.

Las Vegas-Zion, drive, parking, checking in will take some 3 hours. You easily can spend all day in Zion but this schedule won't allow. Maybe drive Page a bit later. Take the free Zion shuttle and make stops hopping on and off. The drive through Zion from the Canyon to the east entrance is also very beautiful and deserves a few stops.

From Page to MV is an easy three hours but you don't want to miss Antelope Slot Canyon just east op Page. The guided tour will take app. 1.5 hours.

Visiting Canyon de Chelly: The tour takes as least three hours. You can drive the rims on your own. Driving south rim till Spider rock and back, without visiting White House ruins, only taking the views will take app 2 hours.

Please give us your proposed itinerary all the way.

Tet

5. Re: Las Vegas to Tucson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 17:17