We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, Kansas
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

My wife and I have a week without the kids in Flagstaff and have never been in the area before. We have a place to stay already. We definitely are going to the Grand Canyon for a full day trip, but are looking for other things to do in the area. We enjoy fine dining and will probably eat at least 3 or 4 dinners at a nice restaurant and would appreciate suggestions. We also love to golf and would like to know if there are any specific courses in the vicinity that we shouldn't miss out on. We would enjoy natural attractions such as the Grand Canyon, but from looking online, it seems like there are so many in the area that it is difficult to know which ones we shouldn't miss. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,033 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

I would suggest at least 1-2 days in Sedona. You 'll find 2 great public access golf courses, plenty of sightseeing opportunities and lots of fine dining options. The drive is less than an hour through Oak Creek Canyon, known as one of the most scenic drives in the nation.

Also plan to see Wupatki nat'l monument (indian ruins) and you might want to drive up to Page to see lake Powell and Antelope canyon

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

Welcome to my back yard. Ok here goes

Food now we have some nice places so I don't know what you mean by "fine" dining but will try our best. New place Brix on San Francisco (one way st) and Elm is suppose to be good haven't been yet. Charlies on Leroux very good sit outside. Horsemans Lodge great food and salad bar. Mama Louisas is great for Italian (more authenitc) its on Steves Blvd in a little shopping plaza a couple of doors down from the Circle K. Good food but small venue. The Inn at NAU has great food its on campus on the other side of San Francisco st. Casa Bonita has good mexican food and great drinks. Good lunch in an odd local is Big Foot BBQ downtown on Leroux St in the old town shops in the basement in the back of the clothing store. Hope you aren't on a diet. LOL Beaver St Brewery on Beaver st (one way). There are plenty of other places in the downtown area if you do a stroll and find a place that smells good. Those are the top choices there are of course others but those are my best local favorites. not chains.

Don't know about much in Flagstaff but the country club area. We have a great 18 hole golf course that is much cheaper here in Williams called Elephant Rocks (can look up on internet) out in the pines. Worth a nice side trip.

Visit Riordan Mansion in Flagstaff, Museum of Nothern Az, Lowell Observatory, downtown, the Pioneer Museum or the Arbouredum on west RT 66. Look at my go list for ideas and a local map.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Other areas to see:

Wupatki/Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon, both close to town. Slightly farther are Painted Desert/Petrified Forrest. Cameron Trading post, Montezuma's Well and Castle good stop if you go to Sedona for the day. www.visitsedona.com Jerome nice little art community on a mountain top with awesome views.

Hope thats a good start sorry so long so much to see/do so little time :)

dragonflyladyofarizona@hotmail.com

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
119 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

We do have some lovely restaurants:

The Cottage Place - extremely fine dining, reservations required.

Josephines - excellent, no reservations for lunch, but definately for Dinner.

Brix - also very fine dining, do make reservations.

Pasto - nice ambiance and good Italian cuisine.

Interesting sites:

Riordan Mansion

Museum of Northern Arizona

Sunset Crater

and

There is a ton of great hiking in the area.

Olathe, Kansas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

Thanks for the advice so far! What I mean by fine dining is some restaurants in the area that serve very good food in a "formal" type atmosphere-particulary Italian or Steakhouses for dinner. We are also interested in any "can't miss" places that serve local cuisine or are unique to the area that we can't enjoy here in KS. Any suggestions on microbreweries or local brewpubs would also be great. Thanks!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

Try Mama Luisas (more authentic Italian ), Josephines (use to be good but chef left & opened up Brix), two best stake houses are Horsemans and Black Barts not fancy(casual) just good. For breweries try Beaver St Brewery (great oven baked pizza) mentioned above and Flagstaff Brewing Co on rt 66 downtown across from the train depot on the main drag(aka Milton/rt 66). I haven't tried it but you might try Kokopelli's downtown they have a great raspberry champagne Imperial Kir. http://www.kokopelliwinery.com/ Pastos downtown is also good Italian style food casual dining. You will find Flagstaff is a casual, relaxed town for the most part. Hope that helps.

6. Re: Visiting Flagstaff Sept 29-Oct 5-need travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:20