We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recreation in Flagstaff

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recreation in Flagstaff

We're coming to Flagstaff in mid-March without two 8 year olds. They love doing the national parks, and we will be of course going to the Grand Canyon. But for the down times, I was wondering whether or not there were some fun recreational centers for swimming and/or ice skating in Flagstaff. I remember that in Santa Fe, they had a wonderful community center with both a big swimming pool and a skating rink. If I'd known about that we would have brought our skates. This time, I want to be prepared, but I don't want to lug skates if there isn't a rink.

Also, how is the skiing? We will be staying off Highway 180 about 7 miles northwest of town, and I think we're going to be near Snowbowl. Is this a fun ski area? The kids are beginners, but want to try snowboarding. Is this ski area tough to get to (in terms of road conditions)?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recreation in Flagstaff

Your post is a little contradictory. You say "without" the two 8 yr old but it sounds like you are brining them.

If they want to go swimming your hotel may have a pool. Flagstaff doesn't have an aquatic center yet it should be done next year they hit a few construction snags. NAU does have a huge olypic size pool that is open to the public some times when they don't have training. No skating rink either, not yet. You can check out

www.flagstaff.az.gov/index.asp?NID=1100

mid march might still have some snow but hard to say this early.

The city of Williams has an awesome aquatic center and I don't know if the outside rink is closed yet or not but you can check out the web site. williamschamber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

Snow bowl (www.arizonasnowbowl.com)and williams are the only 2 ski area's in this region. If the slopes are still open you should be able to arrange some lessons for them. Roads should be fine. Just a little icy at night and early am.

You can also check out www.azdailysun.com for events thats the local flagstaff paper.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recreation in Flagstaff

Hi DragonFlyLady,

Thanks so much for your reply. You are right -- my post was confusing because of a typo. I meant "with our" two 8 year olds. Sorry about that!

I will check out the websites you suggested. We're renting a house outside Flagstaff so I know there's no pool....but I will check NAU and maybe we'll make the trip to Williams.

Thanks so much!

3. Re: Recreation in Flagstaff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 03:18